Completion window pop-up on wrong monitor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scottbilas
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  2:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a pair of 20's and I like to stretch VS across them to get more code up onscreen.

When it's set up this way, VA always puts the pop-up box and tooltip on the right monitor.

Here's a screen shot of what I mean:

This is only a problem when VS is stretched. If it's contained on a single monitor there are no issues.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  6:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you split the IDE? The screen shot is confusing me, since there seem to be two code views at the same time.

Is this a new problem with the current version of VA, or have you seen this problem before?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

scottbilas
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  6:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a single VS.NET instance stretched across two monitors, with two edit windows side by side. Their borders are right on the division between the monitors. I took a screen shot that includes the whole desktop, and cropped it down to just what I wanted to show. The halfway point is where I drew the red line about the screen division. That's the border between the two monitors.

Note that I have a plugin installed that turns the right scrollbar of each edit window into a little graphic of the code, which may be confusing things.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  09:53:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your system configured as two separate monitors, or one very wide monitor?

If you disable the plugin that modifies the scroll bar does the problem go away?

Can you try downgrading to VA 1626 and see if this makes any difference please?

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

Go to Top of Page

scottbilas
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  1:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that's interesting. Ok, I killed the plugin and downgraded to 1626 (I was on 1635). Now the popup is on the correct monitor, but the tooltip is still on the other one. Here's a screen shot (again, with a line showing the monitor division).

This is a pair of 20" 4:3 aspect monitors, not a single wide one. I have the left monitor configured as the primary.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  09:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE and OS are you using? This looks like it is Vista, from the window edges.
When the listbox appeared on the second monitor, which version of VA were you using?

I now have dual monitors working on one of my test machines, winXP SP2 + VS2005, and so far I am not seeing this problem.

In your second screen shot is the IDE maximised on one monitor? Or is the IDE still somehow split / stretched across both monitors?

Are you running any programs to help you use both monitors more effectively? Ultramon is the obvious example.

Go to Top of Page

scottbilas
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  9:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes this is on Vista SP1 with VS.NET Pro 2005 SP1. The IDE is not maximized in either screen shot. In both, I've manually sized it so that it is covering the entire right monitor workspace, but only perhaps half of the left monitor. Sounds weird, but this way I can get three edit windows across at once.

I'm not using Ultramon but I am using WinSplit Revolution and Sizer. I don't see how they could cause this problem, but when I get into work Tuesday I'll try killing them to see if the problem goes away. I haven't noticed any problems with tooltips in other apps I have sized like this (I also stretch Audiokinetic's Wwise in this way, no issues with tooltip location there).

Also note that this is on a boring nVidia Quadro and I have disabled all the desktop enhancement features it provides (such as nView).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  1:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have your editor set to MDI mode, or tabs mode?

I have tried this here on a Vista machine with 2 monitors, and VS2005 stretched across both monitors, and still no sign of a problem.

This might be related to your graphics card drivers, or to these WinSplit programs.

Go to Top of Page

scottbilas
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I disabled all my add-ons, and all my resident apps like winsplit. Still happens.

Now, I did notice that this problem does not occur if I have my VS.NET stretched to cover both monitors fully. It only happens if it does not cover the left monitor all the way. I happen to have my start bar aligned vertically and on the left side of the left monitor, which leaves maybe a 100 pixel margin on the left monitor that I don't stretch VS.NET to cover.

Here's a screen shot of my entire desktop. Again, this is a pair of 20's running at 1600x1200, but the screen shot gets a merged image.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  09:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same effect here. This was easy to reproduce once I knew that the trigger was to move the IDE in from the left hand edge of the primary monitor:

case=17155

For me both the listbox and the tooltip appear in the correct place if the left hand edge of the monitor touches the edge of the screen. So you might want to consider that as a temporary work around.

Go to Top of Page

pigo

Germany
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  3:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

if you start to work on this topic please consider a screen configuration like this:

(7)(6)(3)
  (8)(2)(1)(4)(5)

Especially take care of negative screen coordinates due to screen 1 is inbetween of the screen arrangement. The VC6 IDE is expanded over screens 1,4,5,7,6,3. Toolbars and docking windows (workspace etc. are on 2, debugee is on 8.

Screen coordinates in this arragement range from -2560 to 2480 and -768 to + 768

A lot of marvelous automatic screen positioning of VC6 IDE and VA is to be seen including what is mentioned in this topic. But most programs have problems with multi monitor desktops.

Sincerely yours

pigo

Dr. Ing. Michael Gierth

Dr. Gierth Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH
Annastr 17
D-52062 Aachen
Tel: +49/241/4016464
Fax: +49/241/4016466

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts