New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  07:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to get used to the VA Outline, since it is a nice idea and gives us a good overview over larger files. However there are some quirks.

1) it always re-expands all nodes
this is really annoying, even more as it does not keep the focus in place when editing, copy/pasting, inserting code, or even moving code around.
2) delegate definitions are shown as functions

It would be nice if expanding/closing of a #region node could be syncronized with code folding in the source window, maybe optional like Autoupdate or drag-drop.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  08:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering making VA Outline remember which nodes are open and which are closed:

case=8858

which might help a bit.

When you say focus is not kept when editing what do you mean? If I place keyboard focus into VA Outline and cut / paste items to re-order the current file keyboard focus is staying in VA Outline for me. So I suspect you are talking about something else.

Delegate definitions, is this in C#? I am not quite sure what you mean here.

Trying to synchronise VA Outline expanding / collapsing and source code expanding / collapsing is a very interesting idea. VA Outline is designed to expand nodes when you are dragging and dropping inside VA Outline, so you can find the correct place to drop the item you are dragging.

What I am really wondering is who takes the lead? Do you want the code to look like VA Outline or VA Outline to look like the code? Also how detailed might this get? You can fold classes, functions and comments in the source code, so expanding and collapsing classes in VA Outline could be synchronised with folding in the editor.

My initial reaction is that trying to synchronise both ways (assuming this can even be done) could cause problems if the editor and VA Outline ever get out of sync.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  09:38:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Focus: i am talking about the following, the "selected" node vs. the "highlighted" node, seems that one is interfering with the other, like "selected node is on top of the list" but "highlighted node is at the end of the list", if the list is large, it jumps. Well I will keep an eye on whats really wrong with it and try to add more detail.

As for the source folding, i think its much easier than that. The VA Outline doesnt show code, so function/scope folding doesnt apply at all, remains only the regions. This should be an easy trick. Just keep them in sync. I think there is no lead to take, either a region is folded or not. And getting out of sync seems quite hard, since VA automatically updates with the editor.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  09:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot the delegate definitions...

Add the following to a C# code file

#region // Delegate Definitions
delegate void RowStringDelegate(DataGridViewRow row, string s);
delegate void StringDelegate(string s);
delegate void FillMessageDelegate(DataGridViewRow row);
delegate void UpdateRowCountDelegate();
#endregion

These are not functions by itself, yet they show up like functions in the outline instead of types. In the source windows they are properly as datatypes colored.

btw: there is a nice feature showing in the outline that I liked: regions starting with // are colored like comments in the outline. Makes nice separations.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  12:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see what you mean about the colouring of delegates now. This is actually a more general problem, the same effect shows up with C# classes and other things as well:

case=17580

I have put in a feature request to link code folding with the VA Outline state to see what our developers make of it:

case=17581

Focus in VA Outline, I am still not sure what you are seeing. I see a bold item in VA Outline. This moves up and down the outline as I scroll through the code file. It is supposed to indicate your current scope in the file. It stays put when I place keyboard focus into VA Outline, since the current line in the file is no longer changing. Once I have put keyboard focus into VA Outline then I have a current / active item in VA Outline, but this is quite separate to the bold item.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  07:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=8858 is implemented in build 1707
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: