Undoable selection surrounding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maxim
Ketchup Master

59 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  10:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In apps like Word, there's auto-text features but as soon as one happens, you can always press Ctrl+Z to undo it. It's be nice if Surround With worked like that. Here's an example:
int result = a + b

If I select the '+' and type '*', the contents of the selection is saved to a temporary buffer and the code becomes
int result = a * b

and then, as quickly as possible, it is changed to
int result = a /*+*/ b

so it acts exactly as it does already, but I can press Ctrl+Z if I really wanted the second snippet.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  3:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It makes sense, but when someone want to comment out hundreds of lines, it will be much slower, and will "flashing", so first the long text will be deleted (replaced by '*'), and then will be replaced again by the commented version...
Go to Top of Page

gmit
Whole Tomato Software

Croatia
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  3:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by accord

It makes sense, but when someone want to comment out hundreds of lines, it will be much slower, and will "flashing", so first the long text will be deleted (replaced by '*'), and then will be replaced again by the commented version...

Personally, I don't care about 'flashing', but, Maxim' suggestion could be applied only on selections that are contained within a single line.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  6:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, sure, we can separate this case, but I'm afraid that it can lead to inconsistency. This sounds good on paper, but can confuse others, who want the original, uncommented text by undo.
Not the same, but currently you can delete selected text, and then press the '*' key after the undo. This is what I do, when I run into this problem...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000