Feature Requests
 Ability to turn off interference with typing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hybrid

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  04:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to suggest the ability to turn off, in the options, those behaviours that do something while you type normal text like you would in a text editor. So basically, anything that shows a window or changes text while you type normal characters like letters, arrow keys to navigate the cursor, return for a newline or "(" to type a "(" symbol.

Then you can use Visual Assist for its great way of syntax highlighting and the intellisense replacement, but turn off the interference with your typing if you don't like it.

I hope you know what I mean, I mean for example the following kind of happenings (described a bit in detail to try to show what the source is of the thing that is somewhat annoying):

-that it selects all the text of a header file inclusion if you type inside it so that you accidently type over the rest and have to retype the full thing
-that it shows a window with in it "rename references", "rename references with preview" if you type at the end of a variable name, so that arrow keys don't work anymore due to the window taking them over (very annoying if you have a list of variables below each other and need to add something at the end of the name for every one, using the arrow keys). Arrow keys should be available for navigating around the cursor at any time, using the mouse is time consuming if your hands are on the keyboard!
-that it shows a window with suggestions, where it picks the suggestion while you don't want it if you press a key like "(" while you actually pressed that "(" with the intention to type a "(". Even if the intellisense replacement messed up and doesn't know all keywords anymore, that shouldn't be an excuse for it to randomly change the function name you just typed to something else when you type a "(", better to just have an option that just prevents visual assist from picking anything at all!
-that it shows some random correction windows when typing on comments when the option "Repair Case" isn't on
-any other type of correction, but those already can be turned off so there it's fine already :)

I think that a master option "Don't show any listboxes or other window below the cursor while typing" and a master option "Don't auto-modify any text" would do.

I don't know if some of the above things are bugs or not. I'm also not reporting them as bugs, because I know some people use this and like it, but it's a bit a shame that those who don't can't just turn it off.

So, it would be great for those people who prefer to do it without to be able to turn it off to use VAssist for its other things :)

P.S. I do like the suggestion boxes, but only if they'd pop up if pressing ctrl+space or not interfere when not needed.

Edited by - Hybrid on Jun 26 2008 05:36:58 AM

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  09:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
that it shows a window with in it "rename references", "rename references with preview" if you type at the end of a variable name, so that arrow keys don't work anymore due to the window taking them over (very annoying if you have a list of variables below each other and need to add something at the end of the name for every one, using the arrow keys). Arrow keys should be available for navigating around the cursor at any time, using the mouse is time consuming if your hands are on the keyboard!

You can turn that off go to VA X Options -> Advanced -> Refactoring and uncheck Include refactoring suggestions in listboxes.

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  12:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may also want to turn off most of the options in:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Hybrid

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  05:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Individual options to turn off certain listbox types don't help, there are always some types of listboxes that appear no matter what setting combination you use (or there may appear new types with updates or there may be bugs that make options to turn them off not work completely), so just an option to disable ALL listboxes would be very helpful!

Edited by - Hybrid on Jun 27 2008 09:00:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  10:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE and programming language are you using? You may need to turn off both VA and IDE options to achieve what you want.

Go to Top of Page

Hybrid

7 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  11:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
visual studio 2005 with C++.

Which IDE options could it be?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  11:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The option:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Auto list members

will have an effect. You probably want that turned off.

I have just turned off that option and set:

VA Options -> Quick Config -> Suggestions = Min

Typing some simple code I am not seeing any listboxes at all.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000