Brace navigation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  6:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When browsing code, especially inside large functions that don't fit on a single page, I frequently wish to jump to the opening or closing brace in the current scope. Visual studio has the option to jump to the matching brace, but the cursor has to be on the opening or closing brace for it to work, and finding that brace is not always easy within large scopes with a lot of nesting going on.

So I'd like to request a feature for brace navigation - GoToOpeningBrace and GoToClosingBrace. The first one scans backwards to the opening brace of the current scope, and places the cursor right behind it (so the cursor is still inside the same scope). If the cursor is already right behind an opening brace, it should go to the opening brace of the enclosing scope. Similarly, GoToClosingBrace scans forward to the closing brace of the current scope, and places the cursor right before the closing brace, or find the closing brace of the enclosing scope if it already was right before a closing brace.

What would probably also be nice to have, is to jump to (the start of) the next or previous sibling scope. This would enable you to quickly move backward and forward through the functions in a file for example, or a set of if-else-blocks inside a function.

.edit: uhm, right, I just discovered that VA X already has such a feature - ScopePrevious and ScopeNext. Thanks for implementing it so quickly

Edited by - .oisyn on Jul 08 2008 6:03:59 PM

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  5:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I wanted to suggest
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/move.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly