C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

on VS2005.

I've added an assembly reference for VisualHints::SmartPropertyGrid to my project. VA doesn't seem to understand anything about this assembly. I've added a 'using namespace VisualHint::SmartPropertGrid;' at the top of my cpp file. Both words are underlined for mistyped symbols.
I then start typeing PropertyEnumerator, the list appears but this class isn't on the list. Start typing to filter the list. Once I get to 'propertyenum' the list disappears. I press ctrl+space again the wanted member fills out. If I put my caret on PropertyEnumerator the definition field shows nothing and the word is underlined for mistyped symbols. But when I hover my cursor over the word the tooltip displays the correct information.

What am I missing. Do I need to add the path somewhere?

Thanks
Mark

Edited by - mtwombley on Aug 05 2008 6:30:05 PM

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  6:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is crazy but since I have access to the source I decided to add the project into my solution. When I did this and updated the reference everything almost looked fine. I removed the project and restored the reference. Now it looks perfect. I even closed my IDE and reloaded. Still looks great. Start typing prop and the list appears with PropertyEnumerator. VisualHint::SmartPropertyGrid are not underlined. Hover my mouse over the members and the tooltips display everything. Really would like to understand this. I don't always have access to the source.

Thanks
Mark.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  8:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had you re-opened the solution since adding the reference? Not that you should need to - just wondering...

Do you have "Parse all files when opening a project" checked on the Performance page of the VA options dlg?
Go to Top of Page

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  11:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Sean

quote:
Originally posted by sean

Had you re-opened the solution since adding the reference? Not that you should need to - just wondering...

There are times when I don't reload my IDE for days. But this was bugging me so much that I had even 'Rebuild Symbol database' and 'Clear History, cache and temporary files', which requires a restart so yes.

quote:

Do you have "Parse all files when opening a project" checked on the Performance page of the VA options dlg?

I do have that option selected. But how does VA now to look at this assembly? It isn't a globally registered one, so do I need to add its path somewhere?

Mark

Edited by - mtwombley on Aug 06 2008 11:13:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  12:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA gets assembly references from the solution when it is loaded. It also gets notified when references are added to the solution; there will be a delay before symbols from the assembly are parsed but it should not require a reload of the solution.

If you did a 'rebuild symbol database' and the symbols were properly parsed upon the next load of the solution, then that indicates that VA got the references properly at load. It raises the question of what happened when you first added the reference to the solution.
Go to Top of Page

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  12:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

VA gets assembly references from the solution when it is loaded. It also gets notified when references are added to the solution; there will be a delay before symbols from the assembly are parsed but it should not require a reload of the solution.

If you did a 'rebuild symbol database' and the symbols were properly parsed upon the next load of the solution, then that indicates that VA got the references properly at load. It raises the question of what happened when you first added the reference to the solution.

Hi Sean,
Thats the rub, when I did the rebuild nothing changed when I reloaded. It wasn't until I added the source that VA understood the assembly correctly.

I'm going to try two things,
1. Try another assembly from a difference company.
2. Start a new solution and add this assembly again.
this way I'll see if there is a pattern to the problem.

Thanks
Mark
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  12:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You added the source for the assembly to your solution? When the source for the assembly is in the solution, VA parses that instead of using assembly reflection. Did you end up removing the assembly source from your solution?
Go to Top of Page

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  1:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You added the source for the assembly to your solution? When the source for the assembly is in the solution, VA parses that instead of using assembly reflection. Did you end up removing the assembly source from your solution?

I did add the source and then removed it. We have the source but we don't modify it. The license is pretty tight so we use the distributable assembly.
When I first added the source to my solution and changed the reference from the dll to the project, VA understood the namespace and some of the classes but some of the class members were still coming up as mistyped. I realize now I should have given it more time. I then removed the source project and changed the reference back to the distribution dll. Now everything for VisualHint was coming up correctly.

I'll finish my tests and let you know.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  1:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've finished my tests.

I added another VisualHint assembly to my reference (SmartFieldPackEditor). Adding my using statement for VisualHint resolves correctly as a namespace but SmartFieldPackEditor comes up underlined as mistyped. Typing a members name and pressing ctrl+space doesn't bring up a list for it.

I then added an assembly for a control Skybound::VisualTips. When I add my using statement for this it resolves correctly. Then I go to add some code like VisualTipProvider ^vtp = gcnew VisualTipProvider();. VisualTipProvider shows as mistyped. If I then go vtp-> and press ctrl+space nothing comes up.

When I first added these assemblies my status bar indicated that IntelliSense was updating. I waited for this to finish first. I also compiled the code with no errors. I also ran it with out error. So I know the link is okay.

I then 'Rebuild Symbol database' and 'Clear History, cache and temporary files', closed the IDE and deleted the NCB file for the solution. Opened the solution again and no change. SmartPropertGrid is recognized correctly but SmartFiledPackEditor and VisualTips are not recognized.

I really don't want to have to do this old school. I want VA to work. Any other ideas?

Mark
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  4:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generate logs as described here:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Manually enable logging using the VA Options dialog before you open your solution.
Then open the solution.
Once the CPU goes idle for the process, press ctrl+space after vtp->
Then exit and send the logs in.

Submit them using this form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp
In the subject field, note topic 8084

thanks
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  4:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure to send in va.log and vassist.log. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  5:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, what is this program smoking ! I followed your instructions and everything worked fine. I even tried again without logging and it worked fine. One of the crazy things is that once it starts working it keeps working. I can send you the files if you wish, but its working fine. I'm going to test this with a new solution and see if I can break it again .

Mark
Go to Top of Page

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  5:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, I've broken it again . I feel much better now (not going crazy, really).

I started a new solution and added the reference to the assembly.
VA didn't understand the reference at all.

I can send the solution I was testing with or I could create a log right from the start of adding the reference.

Thanks
Mark
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are happy to send both the solution and the logs this sounds best. The more information we have, hopefully the easier it will be to reproduce and understand the problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  1:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondered how this was going. I've been corresponding by email and kind of lost track. Have I dropped the ball and you are waiting for something from me?

Thanks
Mark
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  6:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like you were discussing this with Sean via:

case=18964

As Sean said we have a fix internally for Managed C++ projects that are set to "/clr:pure" which will hopefully show up in the next build. I am not sure when that is due, but it will be interesting to see if it helps at all.

I have just replied via email from that case to try and avoid splitting the conversation between email and this thread

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  01:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=18997 addresses the /clr project setting fix

case=18997 is fixed in build 1649
Go to Top of Page

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  4:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
This thread was assigned case=18964 and support has posted a fix for case=18997. Was this a mistype or were the cases similar? I have installed the new build and I replied by email on Friday 12th, was that received okay?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  1:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=18964 is the email discussion about this problem. The support emails go into our bug tracking system, to avoid them getting lost in peoples separate inboxes.

case=18997 was the bug that was opened for the /clr project setting problem, and is fixed in VA 1649.

The email has come in, apologies for not replying yet. I have been swamped, I will try and get to that today.

Go to Top of Page

mtwombley

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  1:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem on the delay, we are all busy. Just didn't want to drop the ball myself.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  6:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for being so understanding and reminding me I would have gotten to the email soon, I am just not quite sure when.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000