New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  08:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use VS2008 SP1, FeaturePack, WinXP SP2, dualcore E6600, latest VAX.

I just wanted to use the quick-macro function from the IDE to add some code on several methods. First, the macro-recorder takes very long to start. Than i typed some code (around 10 chars), got a coffee, came back and the code still wasnt typed down. After a few minutes i was able to stop the macro-recorder.

Than i disabled VAX from startup and restarted the IDE. Tried again to record a macro and it was still slow (compared to VS6) but i can work with it and i directly see my typed code.

I am not sure if this is a VAX problem, but it looks like that VAX tries to open the suggestion-box that slows down the macro-recording. I attached another IDE to find out more, but i could not see any stuff on the call-stack that indicates VAX activity.

Disabling VAX speeds up macro-recording significantly.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  08:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The speed problem is a known issue. We are looking to have VA disable its self when you start recording a quick macro:

case=724

Having VA active while recording keyboard macros is likely to cause problems, since VA's features are going to get in the way. This may interest you, one user reported binding a keyboard shortcut to this IDE macro as a temporary workaround:

' Wrapper to record a temporary macro.  Disables VAX prior to recording as it
' seems to slow down recording substantially.
Sub RecordMacro()
    DTE.ExecuteCommand("VAssistX.EnableDisable")
    DTE.ExecuteCommand("Tools.RecordTemporaryMacro")
End Sub

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hum...This helps only a bit and makes the IDE just a bit faster. Before i created the topic i tested macro-recording with VAX disabled, that was similar to the macro you supplied and wasnt that satisfying. Thus i completly removed VAX from the IDE startup and that was more helpful.

Nevertheless macro-recording with VAX started in background is anoying.

But i am pretty sure you will fix the problem
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  08:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure what the IDE is doing with macro's, but the first time you run a pre-recorded / pre-written macro it is painfully slow. Run the same macro a second or third time and it can run nice and fast, even with VA enabled and working normally.

Restart the IDE and you are back to painfully slow the first time you run the macro.

As an experiment I have just tried the number changing macro:

http://support.wholetomato.com?W446

in VS2005 with VA set not to load, via the registry key. So no sign of VA. The first time the macro is run it is still quite slow, and it runs a lot faster the second time. So VA is probably having a speed effect here, but this happens even without VA.

Depending on what you are trying to do with the macro you may find that adding a VA Snippet with a one or two letter shortcut helps.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  12:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=724 is fixed in build 1848

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly