Find references - filters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blq

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  12:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many times when I've used the "Find References" functionality I've specifically been interested in "where is the object assigned to?"
It would be great to be able to filter (or sort) the returned references on a criteria like this.

Other cases I could see use for are:
- where is the object constructed?
- where is the object .Disposed of? (C#)
- where is a just the .get (or the .set) part of a property referenced?

// Fredrik

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  2:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are planning to introduce some form of filtering at some point:

case=2867

I have put a note on the case about your ideas.

You can already see the variable assignments because they have a different icon, but sure, you cannot filter them yet.

Edited by - accord on Sep 30 2008 2:21:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  2:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look in the Find References Results list, and at your source code (assuming you have highlight references turned on) then places where the symbol is assigned to are highlighted in a different colour, so you can pick these out visually.

You can also use CTRL-F in the Find References Results window to search the result list.

Some of these criteria though, at least for C++ and probably for C#, are very hard. Look at copy constructors, as soon as you consider these then working out when the object is constructed is not quite so simple. Function calls returning an object instance is another "fun" area.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

blq

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  07:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to hear you're working in this direction. I certainly understand the difficulty of deducing all cases. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if the match isn't 100%, after all its a tool to dig the code not a compiler.
Another filtering idea for find-ref would be to be able to only run it on a specific subset of the current solution, i.e specific projects and perhaps be able to exclude certain files etc when browsing the result (similar to how you can collapse the listing now).
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are working on find references to search active project before other solution projects during find refs/rename

case=9285

This is not the same what you suggested, but users usually would like to limit the search to get the results faster. So this way you will get the results faster in most of the cases.

>and perhaps be able to exclude certain files etc when browsing the result (similar to how you can collapse the listing now).
I may misunderstood you, but you can "exclude" files when browsing the results by right clicking on the file name and then selecting "Delete". (This will not delete the source, only hide the file in the list.)
Go to Top of Page

blq

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  03:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah! Kindof assumed delete was a real delete, I've been looking for "exclude" :)
Spinning on this; When there's a lot of hits it would perhaps be nice to be able to click an individual hit and say "delete/exclude originating file" or "delete/exclude originating project".
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  07:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To delete the originating file just move to the parent node, which should be the file, and press Delete, or use the right click menu. This deletes the parent node and all of its children from the Find References Results List.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000