New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  8:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since upgrading to the latest VAX (1649), I've been getting a sporadic problem where the IDE stops responding when I click the "Save All" button. Sometimes, it does actually save the files, even though the UI doesn't update (the stars are on the tabs for the modified files), but other times, it doesn't save.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it occurs, so I don't think I can provide any helpful information for reproducing it. Mostly, what I'm looking for is advice on steps to take to try to track down what the problem is. I know VAX has logging - would enabling logging help? Will I be able to get the logs if I have to shutdown VS through task manager (the only resolution when this occurs). I've looked at the call stack for various threads in the devenv.exe process using the sysinternals tool 'process explorer', but the call stacks I'm getting don't seem very helpful. The only useful information I've been able to get with that program are the threads that are still actively switching context (lots of vax MigrateDevColor or something). If I attach with another instance of VS to get a minidump when this happens, would this help?

I haven't seen this problem reported before, so I assume it's something unique to my setup - not a problem....but I really need to find out what the deal is as the times when it doesn't save are becoming more frequent....and we all know how bad that can be. Here's the info from About:

(Of these, both the TestTrack plug-in and SamTools are disabled via Add-in Manager...my next step is to uninstall them completely, I guess)

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50727.867 (vsvista.050727-8600)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 2.0.50727 SP2

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 77626-009-0000007-41660
Microsoft Visual Basic 2005

Microsoft Visual C# 2005 77626-009-0000007-41660
Microsoft Visual C# 2005

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 77626-009-0000007-41660
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005

Microsoft Visual J# 2005 77626-009-0000007-41660
Microsoft Visual J# 2005

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications 77626-009-0000007-41660
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Applications

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 77626-009-0000007-41660
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005

Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005 77626-009-0000007-41660
Microsoft Web Application Projects 2005
Version 8.0.50727.867

Crystal Reports AAC60-G0CSA4B-V7000AY
Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU (KB933054)
This Hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this Hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933054

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB926601)
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926601

Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU (KB937061)
This Security Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this Security Update will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937061

Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU (KB947738)
This Security Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this Security Update will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947738

Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU (KB932232)
This Update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this Update will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932232

Visual Assist X
For more information about Visual Assist X, see the Whole Tomato Software website at http://www.WholeTomato.com. Copyright (c) 1997-2008 Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Xbox 360 Extensions for Visual Studio 2.0.7645.0
The Xbox 360 Extensions for Visual Studio add the ability to develop, build, debug and deploy game projects for Microsoft Xbox 360. Version 2.0.7645.0

SamTools
Sam is cool

TestTrack Visual Studio .NET Add-In
For more information about Seapine Software, Inc., see the Seapine Software, Inc. website at http://www.seapine.com
For customer support, call 1-888-683-6456.
Copyright (c) 2002 - 2008 Seapine Software, Inc. Inc.

And from the VAX about screen:

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1649.0 built 2008.09.09
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (40-user license) Support ends 2009.08.07
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.867
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.867
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6001.18000
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1
8 processors

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Xbox 360 SDK\\include\\win32;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Xbox 360 SDK\\include\\xbox;

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  10:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When this happens do you see the save icon on the IDE status bar "flashing" away? It has two or three states that all look like a floppy disk and cycles through them.

I ran into a similar experience recently with VS2008 after moving between VA versions, but the problem went away again before I could pin anything down. When it happened to me the icon was flashing.

Log files might help. The VA log files are just text files on the hard drive, so you can kill off the IDE process and still access them. The only problem here is that you have to enable VA logging before the problem starts.

Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Uninstalling VA, deleting any remaining VA directories, resetting the IDE, and then reinstalling VA *may* fix this problem.

If you try this I would recommend backing up your IDE and VA settings before you start:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  6:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I haven't managed to run into this problem while I have logging enabled (wish there was a way to tell VAX to NOT disable logging when the IDE is restarted). But, just got the problem again so I attached with another instance of VS. I had just clicked 'build', there were several modified files open, and I have the IDE configured to save all files before building the solution. Here's what I could get of the callstack....there were a total of 6 threads, but only the main thread would give me a callstack of any sort. I hope it's helpful:

> mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(long timeout, bool exitContext) + 0x2f bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(int millisecondsTimeout, bool exitContext) + 0x25 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne() + 0xd bytes
System.dll!System.Diagnostics.AsyncStreamReader.WaitUtilEOF() + 0x14 bytes
System.dll!System.Diagnostics.Process.WaitForExit(int milliseconds = 2147483647) + 0xda bytes
System.dll!System.Diagnostics.Process.WaitForExit() + 0xa bytes
Microsoft.Build.Utilities.dll!Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.HandleToolNotifications(System.Diagnostics.Process proc = {System.Diagnostics.Process}) + 0xef bytes
Microsoft.Build.Utilities.dll!Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.ExecuteTool(string pathToTool, string responseFileCommands, string commandLineCommands) + 0x248 bytes
Microsoft.Build.Tasks.dll!Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Exec.ExecuteTool(string pathToTool, string responseFileCommands, string commandLineCommands) + 0x30 bytes
Microsoft.Build.Utilities.dll!Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.Execute() + 0x16b bytes
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll!Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask = ExecuteTaskAndGatherOutputs, System.Collections.Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, out bool taskClassWasFound = true) + 0x448 bytes
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll!Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Target.ExecuteAllTasks(Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.DependencyAnalysisResult howToBuild = FullBuild, System.Collections.Hashtable changedTargetInputs = null, System.Collections.Hashtable upToDateTargetInputs = null, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.ItemBucket bucket = {Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.ItemBucket}, System.Collections.ArrayList taskOutputItems = Count = Cannot evaluate expression because the current thread is in a sleep, wait, or join, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildPropertyGroup taskOutputProperties = BuildPropertyGroup (Count = Cannot evaluate expression because the current thread is in a sleep, wait, or join, Condition = Cannot evaluate expression because the current thread is in a sleep, wait, or join)) + 0x457 bytes
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll!Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Target.ExecuteAllTasks() + 0x180 bytes
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll!Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Target.Build(System.Collections.IDictionary targetOutputs = null) + 0x5cf bytes
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll!Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Target.Build(System.Collections.IDictionary targetOutputs = null) + 0x51a bytes
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll!Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Target.Build(System.Collections.IDictionary targetOutputs = null) + 0x51a bytes
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll!Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project.DoBuild(string[] targetNamesToBuild, System.Collections.IDictionary targetOutputs = null, bool fireProjectStartedFinishedEvents = true) + 0x2c1 bytes
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll!Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Engine.BuildProject(Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project project = {Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project}, string[] targetNames, System.Collections.IDictionary targetOutputs, Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildSettings buildFlags, bool fireProjectStartedFinishedEvents) + 0x260 bytes
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll!Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.Project.Build(string[] targetNames, System.Collections.IDictionary targetOutputs) + 0x23 bytes
Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Build.ComInteropWrapper.ProjectShim.BuildTarget(string targetName, System.Collections.IDictionary targetOutputs) + 0x40 bytes
[Native to Managed Transition]

edited by feline to let this word wrap

what could possibly go wrong? :D

Edited by - feline on Oct 23 2008 2:38:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  2:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a registry key used to turn on logging:

HKCU \\ Software \\ Whole Tomato \\ Logging = 1

If you set this and then set the registry permissions so that VA cannot edit the key it is possible this will force logging to stay turned on. I have not actually tried this myself, but it should work in theory.

I have asked our developers if they have any ideas:

case=20432

Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  7:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK - finally got this with logging enabled. Submitted a zip of the logs via the support form mentioned in the 'how to report logs' thread.

what could possibly go wrong? :D
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  1:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have replied via email.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic