Feature Requests
 [Feature request] Separator Lines between methods
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GroovyGregory

8 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  11:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice to have lines in the text-editor, which separate the methods, for easier readability.

just like this, but with methods (you can see this when you open up a vb-project or the macro-editor of visual studio):

if there are comments above a method, then the separator has to be above the comments of course.

thank you!

regards,
Greg

p.s. here is an article that is about something like that:
http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronmar/archive/2006/04/17/line-separators-in-the-vs-core-editor.aspx

Edited by - GroovyGregory on Oct 27 2008 11:56:06 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  08:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would this really help? I get these lines some places in VB files, and personally I feel they just get in the way. Also they can cause problems with underscores, depending on exactly where they are drawn.

I have a standard comment block that I add to my functions, which contains a couple of long lines of stars, so that I can easily see where a new function starts. This has the advantage of working in other programs as well, like diff programs.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  03:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea separating methods with lines, but next thing is to separate blocks inside a method.

I use a light-grey background color for comments, that gives me actually the separation for all blocks where i want to have a separation.
Go to Top of Page

GroovyGregory

8 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  12:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Would this really help? I get these lines some places in VB files, and personally I feel they just get in the way. Also they can cause problems with underscores, depending on exactly where they are drawn.

I definitely think it is quite useful. just having a line above a method-definition (except it is in the class-definition). i don't quite understand your underscore problem.

quote:

I have a standard comment block that I add to my functions, which contains a couple of long lines of stars, so that I can easily see where a new function starts. This has the advantage of working in other programs as well, like diff programs.

yes, i do have this as well, but unfortunately you don't always work with your own code. so this would still be quite useful, when messing around with other persons code.
another point is, that it is even easier for distinguishing, because the line would take the whole width of the texteditor and because you can have a special color for that lines and only these.

anyway ... it is just a small feature-request.
thank you for your help and this perfect peace of software. i really can't live without it anymore!

Greg
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  5:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The underscore problem, have a look at this screen shot. This is some VB.NET code from VS2003:

count the underscores. There are two underscores in this picture, but I can only see one of them. This is why I personally rather dislike these lines on the screen, since they "hide" my code from me.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000