New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  1:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When dragging a file from Windows Explorer and dropping it into VS2008 I'm getting a Visual Assist dialog saying that "The file 'xxx' has been deleted! Be sure to save the contents of the editor before closing the window." Needless to say the file has not been deleted. Also after closing the dialog message the file becomes modified with a space inserted at the beginning of the file. If I close the file and then do the drag and drop again, the dialog does not come up and the file remains unmodified as expected.

Note: the file that I'm opening is located on a network share using a UNC path in Windows Explorer. Opening the file directly inside Visual Studio (File->Open) does not seem to do this.

In addition (this may or may not have anything to do with it) I have a C++ project currently open in the editor. I have an older copy of the same project that is located on the UNC path. Source files that I'm opening have the same name as files in the active project.

I saw a post that had this dialog message but had files containing Unicode characters. That is not the case here. Also it is not related to a specific file. All source files reflect this.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was not able to reproduce the problem here. This is what I do:

1. Open a project from my hard drive
2. Drag a file from a network sharing with a path like: \\\\MACHINE\\\\SharedFolder\\Filename.cpp.

- The project has a file with this name already
- I use left mouse click to drag the file, and i'm dropping into IDE's editor window

I may do something differently, or there is a determinant difference in your environment.

I'm using VS2008 SP1 and Windows XP SP3 on both machines.

- What IDE and Operation System are you using?
- What Operation System running on the machine which is sharing the file?
- Do you have other plugins installed for your Visual Studio?
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  1:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm running VS2008 SP1 on XP SP3. The shared drive is on XP-64 SP2 (reminds me that I have to upgrade that). There are no other plugins installed. I also tried it from an UNC share on 2003 server and so far it hasn't done it from that server. Then strangely enough after opening the file from that server it seems to stop doing it from the original share until I open a new project. It has also done it with no project open. However, the results are a little less consistent than before. Strange. Maybe simply rebooting will straighten it out. Weird how it modifies the file after that message pops up. Although with VAX turned off the file is never modified and obviously I don't get the VAX dialog message, so it seems that VAX must be modifying the file under these odd circumstances.

Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  2:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scratch that. I've now had the message popup even with the UNC share on the 2003 server. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help track this down. Fortunately it seems benign, but it is annoying.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  4:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silly question first, how do you know this is a VA dialog box?

Assuming you can reproduce this on demand, can you download and run Filemon, filter it to only show the problem file, and see if the log shows anything useful:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx

if VA or the IDE thinks the file has been deleted then I would hope to see at least one error in the log that does not show up when there is no problem.

I am hoping any errors in the log will give some clues.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  6:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Silly question first, how do you know this is a VA dialog box?
Easy. It says "Visual Assist X" for the caption of the dialog box. If I disable VAX I do not get the message. See the image below for a sample of the dialog.

quote:
Assuming you can reproduce this on demand, can you download and run Filemon, filter it to only show the problem file, and see if the log shows anything useful:
I captured a sample using Process Monitor (should be the same as FileMon). Click the link to download. I saved it in CSV format. I didn't see anything immediately obvious. The file, of course, is not actually deleted - which is a good thing!
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  08:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked the developers to see if the log contains any clues.

case=21047
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  10:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What version of VA do you have installed (see the System Info page of the VA Options dialog)?

If you are using 1649 or 1707, could you please generate a log file while reproducing this? Instructions are available here:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  3:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using version 1649.

I've submitted the va.log and vassist.log files. There was no startup.log or errors.log file.

Taking a quick look at the va.log file I see that there are entries indicating that it is an invalid path (which is not true). The path is reasonably long and contains spaces. Perhaps VAX is having an issue with one or both of these conditions.

There was no project open when I created this log.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  3:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got the log files, thank you for these.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  07:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=21047 (and related case=21097) are fixed in build 1709
Go to Top of Page

GKarRacer
Ketchup Master

USA
58 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  6:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. It appears to be working now. I had a feeling it might have been the spaces in the UNC path.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000