// Other bla
void Empty::f( void, int )  // Hover over f and watch the tooltip
{
}
// Another blabla
void Empty::f( void* )  // Hover over f and watch the tooltip
{
}

Now split the decl and impl into separate files. It works much better now, but add some more overloads with differnt comments in cpp and h and VAX shows comments of any (maybe first) overloads.

In some cases i get only a black empty square (actually i couldnt figure out the right circumstances, sry).

Another problem with many overloads is the goto-feature, because it does not show all overloads if too many. Make the list scrollable or more precise by showing the correct overload.

*moved to the beta section by Feline, to make it easier to keep track of*

Edited by - feline on Nov 28 2008 08:43:40 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  11:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA not showing all comments from all overloads, or only showing one overload when there are multiple overloads all with comments is a known problem:

case=3437

However this does not explain why you sometimes get a black empty square. What is the background colour of normal tooltips? Can you post a screen shot of this problem when it happens?

Can you turn on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> use tomato icons in listboxes and tooltips to mark Visual Assist X content

It would be useful to know if these black tooltips are actually coming from VA, or if they are coming from the IDE.

Alt-g and overloads is a known problem / limitation. VA does not know which overload you are calling, so it is unable to take you directly to the correct one. So it should offer all overloads. This is something we are aware of, but in general it is a hard problem for VA to solve.

When you say "to many" how many is this? Are you talking about 10 over loads? 20,000 overloads?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2008 :  10:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talk about >15 overloads (didnt count them) in a object-factory. The overloads simplifies creation of objects via template-methods.

I don't know if the tooltip comes from VAX or the IDE, i just see a transparent rectangle with a black border. The colors are standard.

I can send you a screenshot, but i cannot post it here. I couldnt reproduce it in a simple empty project, so i cannot give you any hints, sorry...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  07:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When this is happening how are you triggering the tooltip?

Hovering the mouse over a function call?
Parameter information tooltip?
Tooltip for the current item in a listbox?

Does changing any of the following settings make any difference:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Display comments from source files when available
VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Enable automatic Quick Info ToolTips

Does this always happen, or is it random?

Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hoovering over the method definition in the cpp. Hoovering over the declarition in the h works.

Disabling tooltip coloring and comments in tool tips has no effect.

Enable auto quickinfo is not available in VC++6 , like some other features of VAX.

The comments of the methods have some "@", "&", "<", "|" and of course some other unusual chars and typenames. In the argument list is a type of a typedef which consists of a forwarded class with a smartpointer template. Additionally a lot of includes are present. Maybe this confuses the parser.

It happens all the time, but only in this factory-class in the cpp-file. But as far as i remember it is an older bug...

I just tried again, from top to down on the file...and i can see in the upper region of the tooltip comming some text and other informations. It seems it depends where the line is i hoover with the mouse, so i think VAX tries to display too much information here, that results in a biiiig rectanlge out of the screen area and the text is rendered somewhere <0pt and the bos is limited to the screen-size. Maybe this effekt helps a bit more
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  10:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VC6, my mistake, I jump between threads so often I loose track of who is doing what.

How big is this problem tooltip? The size of a normal one or two line tooltip? Half the size of your screen? Nearly the same size as the screen?

Does turning off comments in tooltips change the size of this problem tooltip?

Since this problem is file specific, if you copy the cpp and .h file and add the copies to a new default test project do you still see this problem? There is no need to try and get the code to compile, so hopefully this will be a quick and easy test.

For posting a screen shot of the effect, this FAQ entry should help:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W128

Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  11:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tooltip is 30% of the width and up to 90% of the hight (depends where i hover with the mouse) and the tooltip is always at the top of the screen (of course above it).

Turning off tooltips doenst help in VC++6 also in VS2008 it doesnt help.

Inserting the files in a new project doesnt help either.

Cant upload a picture there, access is denied. I send u the screenshot via the support and add this topic.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  11:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
90% of the screen hight is a LARGE tooltip!

quote:
Originally posted by andre.horst

Inserting the files in a new project doesnt help either.

Do you mean that you can reproduce this problem by adding these two files to a new project?

If so would it be possible to get a copy of these two files for testing purposes? Since this is a file specific problem, I can then try to find out what the trigger is.

The files will only be used for trying to find and fix this bug, and nothing else.

I understand this is often not possible, but it is worth asking on the off chance.

Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  02:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll send you the both files, because this is only a factory it should be possible...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  09:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the files and the screen shot, thank you for these. I am able to reproduce the problem here. The tooltip content just stops part way down! I don't remember seeing anything quite like that before.

I am now going to see if I can figure out what is triggering this problem.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  11:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell this problem is simply caused by the number of overloads. There is just to much text for the tooltip to handle. Turning off display comments helps, since this cuts down on the amount of text to display, but it does not fix it.

If I delete / comment out enough overloads then the tooltip displays correctly:

case=21312

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000