Technical Support
 Stop parsing while I'm typing!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

undersan

4 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  1:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could anyone recommend a good VA configuration that avoid hiccups while typing? I haven't had much luck (short of completely disabling VA).

Occasionally while I'm typing, Visual Studio will "lock up"--no new characters appear on-screen for a second or two. Then, finally, the stream of characters resumes. I assume these are Windows keypress events that aren't getting handled right away, due to VA hogging the CPU.

Sometimes VA is busy trying to come up with autocomplete suggestions. Sometimes it's just parsing the file (the status bar tells me this).

My system:
VA_X.dll version 10.3.1559.0 built 2007.07.06
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
Windows XP SP2
2 processors

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  6:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Visual Assist parses the source file in a different thread, so it shouldn't lock the editor window.
Are you sure you saw a Visual Assist parsing message? IDE uses "Updating intellisense..." message. If you seeing this you can disable it by following this FAQ entry:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

How large is your project? Find File in Solution (Alt+Shift+O) shows you the number of files in the project.
When you were experiencing this problem did you work with a big file? How many lines it contains?

Visual Assist should wait 1-5 seconds after you stop typing (depending on file size) before starts parsing.

Can you please try the newest version to see if this helps?

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/getBuild.asp?1711

Edited by - accord on Dec 19 2008 6:34:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

undersan

4 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  8:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Are you sure you saw a Visual Assist parsing message?
The status bar says "VA X: Parsing c:\\file.cpp". After more experimenting, I'm convinced that it's the parsing (and not other things like autocomplete, spell-checking, etc., all of which I've disabled).

>IDE uses "Updating intellisense..." message. If you seeing this you can disable it...
It's not this. (In fact, I've already disabled intellisense along the lines suggested in your FAQ.)

>How large is your project?
3421 files.

>did you work with a big file?
Yes, 2000 lines.

>Visual Assist should wait 1-5 seconds after you stop typing (depending on file size) before starts parsing.
Yes, it does wait. However, once started, VA takes 3 seconds to parse this file, and if I start typing during that time, I get hiccups. So, presumably with a workflow like, "type a bit, pause to think, type a bit more," I'm hitting this a lot.

I tried several other files. The parsing time ranged from nearly-instant for 300 lines, to 1 second for 700 lines, to 3 seconds for 2000 lines.

>Can you please try the newest version to see if this helps?
I'll try this and follow up with another post.

Thanks for your help thus far, accord!
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  10:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Yes, it does wait. However, once started, VA takes 3 seconds to parse this file, and if I start
>typing during that time, I get hiccups.
This is not normal.

What antivirus software do you use? Can you please try to disable it temporarily just to see if this helps? Compatibility problems are very rare but sometimes it does happen.

>I'll try this and follow up with another post.
Thank you, I'm curious.

Edited by - accord on Dec 22 2008 7:23:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2008 :  5:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do all files take this long to parse, or is this a file specific problem? I am wondering if there is something about this file that is causing VA problems.

Does it have a lot of #include statements - more than 50?

If you run a CPU monitor and then wait for VA and the IDE to catch up, do not type anything for a few seconds, then use the menu item:

VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

how long does this take? It should be nearly instant.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

undersan

4 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  1:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
accord:

>Can you please try the newest version to see if this helps?
This seems to fix the problem! Parse times are unchanged (still 3 seconds for a 2000-line file), but typing-while-parsing no longer causes hiccups.

I tried build 1711. I also rebuilt VA symbols for my project after the new installation. I wonder if it was the symbol-rebuild or build 1711 that really fixed the problem. Unfortunately, my 3-day trial has now expired, and I don't have our license key handy to re-authorize the old build, so I'm temporarily without VA until our IT people get back to me.

>What antivirus software do you use? Can you please try to disable it temporarily just to see if this helps?
McAfee OAS. I may try this and follow up if the results are interesting.

feline:

>Do all files take this long to parse, or is this a file specific problem?
It's not just this file. See my earlier comments about file lengths and parse times.

>Does it have a lot of #include statements - more than 50?
It directly includes only a single "everything.h" header (and everything.h includes lots of code, certainly over 50 files).

>VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File... how long does this take?
I assume my earlier parse times (based on watching the status bar) are fairly accurate, but I may try this and follow up if the results are interesting.

Thanks for your help, guys.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  3:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Unfortunately, my 3-day trial has now expired, and I don't have our license key handy to re-authorize the old build,
>so I'm temporarily without VA until our IT people get back to me.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
As a guess your support expired. In this case newer builds won't work, but your license key should be kept in the registry, so downgrading to 1559 should resurrect your Visual Assist!

You should have this 2 lines in your system info:
"Licensed to:
VA X: youremail@company (x-user license) Support ends 2009.06.18"

You can install any version before the date that can be seen in your info:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.asp

System Info can be accessed here:

VAssist -> Visual Assist X Options... -> System Info

Edited by - accord on Dec 26 2008 3:35:04 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly