Feature Requests
 bookmarks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adrian3

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2009 :  2:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find myself routinely addressing different aspects of a very large code base. Having a browser style bookmarks toolbar would allow me to work more efficiently.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  7:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by "browser style bookmarks toolbar" ? Can you explain this concept?

Are you aware of IDE's bookmark functionality? You can place bookmarks by Edit.ToogleBookmark (Ctrl+F2 by default if I remember correctly). You can also jump to next or previous bookmarks by Edit.NextBookmark and Edit.PreviousBookmark (F2 and Shift+F2).

You can access all bookmark functionality in

IDE Edit menu -> Bookmarks

Or are we talking about different things?
Go to Top of Page

adrian3

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  7:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I should have been more clear. If you look at Firefox's "Bookmarks Toolbar" it allows you to drag and drop the "favicon" icon to the left of the URL onto that toolbar generating a shortcut button to the page currently displayed. Right-clicking on the toolbar provides a context menu that allows you to add folders that links can be dropped into and links can be dragged between folders, subfolders etc.

Providing this functionality allows the user to quickly create a custom menu of shortcuts which is useful when revisiting an area of the code-base that you haven't been in a while. E.g. I'm working on a project with approximately 30,000 files, and moving to a new area every few weeks. By comparison the existing bookmarks functionality is really only useful for flipping through your current "working set."
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  2:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which Visual Studio do you use?
There is such a functionality already in VS2008. Select

IDE View menu -> Bookmark window

to open it. You can create named bookmarks here and even you can create subfolders and drag bookmarks into them.
Just checked, and this is also available in VS 2005.
Go to Top of Page

adrian3

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  4:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, while it performs the same function, it wastes screen real estate and requires a lot more mousing around to use. Needing to manually label each file is particularly silly.

That said, you are right it will work.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  12:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can set the bookmark window to autohide if it is docked along one side of the IDE, and you can access it with a keyboard shortcut, although you may have to configure this in the IDE keyboard settings.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

adrian3

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  6:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page