Feature Requests
 VA temp file paths
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RHunt

7 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  12:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've added the registry setting as mentioned in this post: http://docs.wholetomato.com?W332

I noticed it moved both my "<USERNAME>\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\VisualAssist\\" and "<USERNAME>\\Application Data\\VisualAssist" folders to the folder set in the registry. The post only mentions the first path being moved.

It would be nice to keep these separated and ideally have more options. If "symbol database, history, cache and temporary files" are distinct then perhaps a path for each? This would be for putting paths to folders which are periodically cleaned or on different drives.

WinXP, VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1711.0 built 2008.12.11

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  2:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of interest, why do you want to put the symbol database onto a different drive?

You may already be able to do this, depending on the OS you are using. You can use junction points and symbolic links to make a directory point at a different directory. This is a feature of the Windows file system, independent of VA.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

I believe there is an improve version of this in Vista, which is mentioned here:

http://zabkat.com/blog/19Oct08-redirect-outlook-pst-folder.htm

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

RHunt

7 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  4:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Out of interest, why do you want to put the symbol database onto a different drive?

Well, I'm not sure about 'symbol database' specifically but moving those folders to a ramdrive seemed to help get rid of hitches when coding (yes, highly subjective). If I could move just the most used files then I could leave some on the slow HD and reduce the needed size of the ramdrive (and lose less stuff in a crash as a bonus). Keeping the 2 folders I mentioned separated might help that a tad.

Junction points might help me... they are interesting in any case.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  1:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see now. I had not thought about ram disks in years.

These days I never seem to have enough RAM in my machines, so the idea of giving up a good chunk of it to make a RAM disk is a little unsettling.

You may want to setup some form of batch file to copy your symbol database into the RAM drive, setup the junction point, and then load the IDE. This still leaves you needing to copy the changes back to a hard drive at the end of the coding session.

My concern here is that VA is going to keep having to rescan all of your stable include directories every time you restart the machine, since the content of the RAM disk will be lost when the machine is shut down, taking the stable / long lived parts of the symbol database with it, along with all of the temporary entries you are less interested in.

Go to Top of Page

RHunt

7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  08:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ramdisk software handles loading/saving an image which it does at startup/shutdown. MY VA folder is less than 200MG so a 400MB disk is working fine. http://www.cenatek.com/product_page_ramdisk_download_list.php - free, first on the list.

quote:
I had not thought about ram disks in years.

Me either but HD speed seems to be the limiting factor these days so I decided to play with one.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  12:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting Given the number of virtual machines I am always running, and the amount of hard drive thrashing that can happen, I suspect I need all the RAM I currently have, but I do see the appeal of this

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000