New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  12:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be a strange problem and maybe difficult to reproduce, but I find it quite worrying and, therefore, here it is:

I just installed 1711 (had 1649 before) on VC6, Win XP. This worked without problems. Then I started the IDE. A message box asked me if I want to use the new snippets and before I could click "yes" another message box showed up telling me that my workspace is broken and some files need to be deleted: *shock*. But this is simply not true! I was able to move the second box away to answer the first question first. After hitting "yes" the IDE crashed. I started the IDE again and no more message boxes showed up. But in which state is my IDE now?

Should I better try reinstalling VAX? And Could you look into this to make sure that it doesn't happen again? I didn't lose any files (maybe only due to the crash), but the notice that there have to be some files deleted from my intact workspace is not what I really want to see again after installing VAX...

Regards
Marcus

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  1:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How clearly do you remember the text of the second message box?

It reminds me of a message box I get quite often in VC6, about "some files could not be opened". I get this when copying a VC6 solution from one test machine to another. I have never actually figured out what the IDE is complaining about, since normally I only ever open files that are in the solution, so were included in the copy. Plus, of course, the IDE does not actually tell me the names of the problem files *sigh*

I have never seen VC6 crash after showing me this message box, but this does not prove much unfortunately.

Are you able to check you solution's condition using source control, to make sure nothing nasty has happened to your local copy?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  4:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi feline,

I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact wording of the message, because the IDE crash prevented me from reading it a second time in more detail. But it was not about "some files could not be opened". It was more like "...has detected that some files in the workspace are corrupt/invalid. These files will now be deleted..." plus an "OK" button. But I didn't click the "OK" button, because I answered the "snippets" message box first. But after hitting "yes" there, the IDE crashed immediately. As I said, my files are still all there.

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  2:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really not sure what to make of this error message. I have just tried renaming a directory, to "delete" 20 code files from my VC6 solution. I then loaded VC6, opened the workspace, but no error messages.

I was told that the file was missing when I tried to open one of these, and VC6 asked if I wanted to recreate it, but this question box had both a Yes and a No button on it.

I really hope that you never get that particular error, or the crash again.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  4:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic