VAX disabled in 2005, 2003 working
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  4:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

upto now we've been using VS.NET 2003 as we were not to upgrade to .NET 2.0 or higher before. Now we have installed VS.NET 2005 in parallel to start the migration process. We have reinstalled VAX in order to register the Plug-In properly.

When I fire up 2003 everything is fine. In 2005 however, all menu items are disabled and I can only choose to open the tool windows.

Please advise

Thanks

Kai

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  08:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So did you reinstall Visual Assist after you installed VS2005?

If yes, which version of Visual Assist do you use?

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into this thread. This will give us the basic information about your setup.
You can do it in 2003.

You can try manually register Visual Assist into 2005:
1. Go to Visual Assist's directory, for example "C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\"
2. Run these commands:
regsvr32 vassist.dll
regsvr32 VaPkg.dll
regsvr32 va_x.dll

If you get an error message when you are running one of these commands, then please post the message here.
3. Reset VS2005 by changing into the directory "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\IDE"
and running "devenv.exe /setup".
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  2:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did reinstall VAX (1711) after installing VS.NET 2005. However, some more playing with it revealed that after I quit 2003 and immediately launch 2005, VAX will be disabled. However, if I either do not have 2003 running or wait long enough 5-10 minutes (well, didn't stopwatch it), VAX is enabled within 2005. Maybe this is by design, but I'd like to understand it

Thanks

Kai
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2009 :  12:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not by design. I have VC6, VS2003, VS2005 and VS2008 all installed on one machine, and often run all 4 IDE's at the same time, with VA active in all of the IDE's.

If you minimise or re-size VS20005 is there any sign of an error message from VA? VA will refuse to load if it thinks you are running VA on to many machines at once, but when this happens you get a message box telling you what has happened. I am wondering if the message is there, but somehow hidden.

When you are seeing this problem can you try running regedit and look at the registry key:

HKLM \\ Software \\ Microsoft \\ VisualStudio \\ 8.0 \\ Addins \\ VAssistNET.Connect8 \\ LoadBehavior = ?

If this is set to 0 then VA will not load, since the IDE has been told not to load it. Set this key to 1 and the IDE will load VA normally.

I don't see why anyone should be editing your registry like this, but it is possible.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  2:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did try it, registry is fine and then I launched VS.NET 2003. VAX enabled. I then launched VS.NET 2005 in parallel, VAX was enabled here, too. Then I quit both and fired up VS.NET 2005 again. VAX was disabled.

I waited for a couple of minutes and launched VS.NET 2005 again. VAX was enabled.

Not that it prevents any productivity. It's just annoying and I do not quite understand it.

We are using a 15 seat license with currently only 6 developers. So exceeding the number of concurrent licenses in use should not be an issue.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  10:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you try unplugging your network cable and see if this makes any difference?

It would be nice to eliminate the network check, since that does stop VA from loading if you are running VA on to many machines at once. It should always show an error message though.

Do you have any other IDE plugins installed?

Could some form of system protection program (anti virus, firewall, anti spyware) be betting in the way and sometimes stopping VA from loading?

Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  03:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did disable the LAN card and tried it. VAX in 2005 was enabled right after I quit VS 2003, however when I started it again, it was disabled. This is still strange, and I believe that something's going wrong. I do not get any message box or similar.

Here's the System Info you have requested

--------------
VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1711.0 built 2008.12.11
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (15-user license) Support ends 2009.10.31
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.6030.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.6030.0
Font: Consolas 11(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;
--------------

I also went through the reconfiguration step. What I found out now is that during the time VAX is disabled in 2005, trying to open the Surround sub menu on the VAX menu will freeze VS.NET 2005.

Thanks for your help

Kai
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2009 :  1:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not seeing anything odd or worrying in the system information, which is something.

VA log files are the next thing to try. Maybe they will give a clue as to why VA is not loading. Normally you turn on VA logging inside VA's options dialog, but here that is not going to help. This FAQ entry explains turning on logging and sending us the log files:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Can you please run regedit and turn on logging via the registry key:

HKCU \\ Software \\ Whole Tomato \\ Logging = 1

then load VS2005 so that VA is disabled.

Then please close the IDE and send me the log files. This will stop them from getting to large. VA should disable logging, but since it is not loading you may need to turn it off manually by setting this registry key back to zero.

Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  01:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this again.

However it seems that in cases where the VAX is disabled, the Add-In does not get loaded at all, because I did not have any of the 4 log files being created for me and the Logging registry value was not reset either.

These are the Add-Ins I have installed

ANTS Profiler
GhostDoc for VS.NET 2005
SQL Prompt 3.8
VAX 1715
TestDriven.NET 2.18.2268

Now that I have spent some more time around Add-Ins it looks as if it might have something to do with some Add-In causing havoc on startup because if VAX is disabled, all the others seem to be, too.

If this was the case, I have to appologize, but at first it looked to me as if solely VAX was disabled.

I will investigate further

Kai
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  2:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other addin's may have registry keys similar to:

HKLM \\ Software \\ Microsoft \\ VisualStudio \\ 8.0 \\ Addins \\ VAssistNET.Connect8 \\ LoadBehavior = ?

if so you may be able to disable them without uninstalling them, and run some experiments, to try and find which plugin or combinations of plugins is causing this problem.

Off the top of my head I am not aware of any interaction problems between VA and any of these plugins.

Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  3:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll give it a go. Great hint.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page