Region Painting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yourself

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  11:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
when browsing a source code, it would be very nice if regions were little more visible, or at least differently colored than preprocessor directives. I am not suggesting it should look as in one of the concurrent products, but even that would be nice. What they do is paint horizontal lines at the location of region and endregion directive of an expanded region. From my description it might not sound like it, but it makes a code much more "readable".
Thanks for considering it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22region+painting%22+%22Visualization+Tools%22&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  1:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on what you want to achieve, you may find this IDE macro useful:

http://support.wholetomato.com?W444

you just need to edit the final function slightly, to define the blocks you want outlined.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

yourself

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  6:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, following probably demonstrates the best what I had in mind, please ignore the actual code :) :

"Fields" and "Internal methods" are expanded regions (#pragma region). I think would be useful if VAssistX painted them similarly. This image was taken from a machine with CodeRush installed.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  09:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I am reading that screen shot correctly then the original code has been replaced on these lines. What happens when you want to edit it?

Personally I am very wary of anything that removes the current code from the screen, and it could be quite tricky to do for VA.

Go to Top of Page

yourself

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  6:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's right. When you move caret to one of those lines, it (the line you are in) changes back to the original code, e.g. "#pragma region Fields".
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  4:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have asked about this internally.

I see the appeal, but I am concerned about how VA could do this. It could be a lot of work for "not much" benefit.

Personally I just use block comments to form markers, //***** with a good number of *'s, inserted via a VA snippet. This also shows correctly in notepad and diff programs

Go to Top of Page

yourself

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  7:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason I like what how they paint it the most, is because some people (including people I work with), use regions quite excessively - in .NET. When I open some file, all I see is just a bunch of collapsed regions. The first thing I do, is expand them all. But because they use them (mostly) to separate some logicically independent parts of code (like Fields, Properties, ...), and the regions can be hardly seen when they are expanded, I loose some "peripheral view" of the code.
I would personally use them just to hide some really "boring" pieces of code, but sadly, because of a guidelines pressure, I am forced to use them more. And I believe I am not the only one.
However I understand that it is propably quite different from what VAssistX does currently and because of that not worth an effort.

Edited by - yourself on Feb 05 2009 11:29:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want an overview sense of the current file you may find VA Outline helps:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vaoutline.asp

Go to Top of Page

yourself

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  2:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip and time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: