New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

architekt
Ketchup Master

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  7:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had this bug for a while now, can't seem to recall which version I noticed it in first, but I'm presently using 10.4.1649 at home and 10.5.1711 at my office and it manifests in both. Anyways, what I find is that sometimes, for no reason I can discern, while I'm typing, the suggestion listbox doesn't update and is stuck selecting the first element...so if I try to auto complete it completes the wrong item. Since it's random, it's really annoying because I can't find a workaround. I was able finally to screenshot it while it was happening:

In the screenshot, I have typed "e->AddSca" and notice that the entire time I was typing this, the selection in the completion box remained on "Active". I backspaced until the suggestion box disappeared and started typing again, exactly the way I did before and this time (which happens most of the time) I got the correct result:

It would seem like a bug that if I type the exact same thing two different times I get two different results.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  09:11:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On VA 1711 can you please turn on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> use tomato icons in listboxes and tooltips to mark Visual Assist X content

and see what happens?

It is possible that you are getting an IDE listbox sometimes and a VA listbox other times. I don't know why that should be happening, or why the filtering is broken though.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

architekt
Ketchup Master

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  4:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay, apparently that option has been on the whole time in my 1711 version. The screenshots, however, are from my 1649 version at home.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  12:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With this option turned on, do you see any difference?

Are you ever seeing tomato icons in listboxes or tooltips?

Go to Top of Page

architekt
Ketchup Master

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  12:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Sorry for the extreme delay, I'm insanely busy at the moment. I'm not seeing any change. I screenshotted another example where it happened, using build 1715. Ignore the rather bizarre "hula" naming, it's for some weirdo evil character in a game I'm working on. I turned off the option to filter the listbox and remove entries in case it had anything to do with it. So that's why in the screen shot below you'll see suggestions for other items.

What this screenshot shows is me in the process of typing "mHu...." Note where the suggestion index is located. It seems odd that it's not on the first of the "mHula..." entries. What's even weirder is as I typed "L" and then "A" the suggestion index, with each keypress, kept changing between "mHulaDancers" and "mHulaAmnesty".
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  10:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This last screen shot shows a suggestion listbox, notice the "A" icon at the bottom left hand corner. This shows VA's best guess, so the current item can jump around a bit in these listboxes as you type, since VA is trying to second guess you.

Notice that there are pale tomato icons behind the listbox icons, and also a tomato icon on the tooltip. This makes sense, since suggestion listboxes come from VA.

The reason I asked about this option was to try and find out if the problem listboxes are from VA or from the IDE. If for some reason some listboxes are from the IDE, not from VA, then this might explain why they work differently.

Go to Top of Page

architekt
Ketchup Master

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  4:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any reason though why it can't just select the first alphabetically listed item? The behavior of the selection bar jumping around is annoying and it makes this selection box feature not so useful, as I more often than not accept the wrong item since the bar is moving about in a non predictable fashion. It would seem like if you've already got things ordered alphabetically that you could just choose the first entry each time that matches the string that's being typed in.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding how this box even works, in which case please enlighten me.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  1:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is an interesting point. Firstly for non suggestion listboxes, depending on how you have set:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Shrink when possible
VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Allow Acronyms and Shorthand

the "correct" item to select may well be in the middle of the listbox.

For suggestion listboxes, VA is selecting the guess that it thinks you want. If you watch the items in a suggestion listbox they can change quite a bit as you type, as VA refines, and sometimes significantly changes its guesses. So even if we stick to making the top item the current item, this actual item can still change quite a lot as you type.

I am not sure this is a "perfect" answer, but it is the thinking behind the current behaviour. Does this make sense?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000