Technical Support
 Massive Slowdown on Coding - 1715
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've upgraded from VAX 1711 to VAX 1715 in Visual Studio 2008 and it started to slow down during coding C++ in VS2008. Editor starts nicely and you can code quite well at the beginning but after typing , copy and pasting a while , editor starts to hang and cpu consumption increases.

Disabling automatic highlighting didn't worked , and after many things i've tried , i have to down-grade to VAX 1711 and it works very well now with no stall or any problem

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  12:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear this.

Did you see message in the status bar when you was experiencing this problem? Something like "VA X: Parsing <filename>" or "Updating intellisene"?

One thing you can try if you are experiencing problems like this is to rebuild you symbol databases:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

Was you working with a large file when the slowdown started? How large was this file (in lines)? Or is this independent of the file size? So is this happened in every file?

One more thing you can try is to create a new win32 test project just to see if this helps. If yes it means that your project may contain something that confuses VA's parser.

I don't experience any slowdowns with VAX 1715.

Edited by - accord on Feb 22 2009 12:23:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  5:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same feelings :(.I installed all previous VAX versions when they are released, with no fear or suspect on their stability.But for the first time i encounter with such a worse problem.

1- I don't see any message in the status bar.And also i've disabled intellisense by changing feacpl.dll.And it's still disabled with 1711 and VAX works fine.
2- I've tried rebuilding database and also cleared cache, it doesn't help
3- Large file is a factor but , i see problem while working on small files, line size changes through 200-1000.It happened in most of the files.It doesn't happen when i don't write any code :).
4- I didn't tried creating a new Win32 project but version 1711 has no problem with same project.And project doesn't include any things illegal or tricky
5- Thanks for your interest ,but 1715 works with you doesn't mean that it works nice and smooth in other conditions.That means you don't cover all the cases(i need to say that i don't like this manner on solving problem)
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point 5: Sorry I just wanted to say that it isn't a general problem with this build. It was not meant to be offensive. I did not want to say that it is your problem/fault. Certainly, the problem is NOT yet solved.

Point 4: I asked this to try to decide that your problem was caused by a specific parsing problem or by something else.

Do you use any other Visual Studio plug-ins?

Can you please enable logging and send us the log files after the slowdowns occurred? It may help to identify the problem. You can read about how to do this here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into this thread. This will give us the basic information about your setup.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  4:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more question. Can you run a CPU monitor please, and see what it reports. If this is a VA parser problem then you should see 100% CPU usage on a single core.

If it is something else then you may see very little CPU usage.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  01:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No other Visual Studio Plug-in's used.
And also after slow-down phase is started while i'm typing, VS2008(VAX) consumed %(80-90) of single core
Due to projects security protocol , i can not send you any information on configuration or any log from internal network.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  12:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What can you tell us? Is the code on a local drive or some form of network drive?
Is all of the code C++, or are you working in a mixture of languages?

Is there any form of pattern to this? Does it appear to be file specific?

If you create a new, empty cpp file and type some dummy code into this file do you still see the problem?

Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  5:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Code is fully C++ , no mixture of languages and all of the code is on the local drive.

As i see, when i've copy and pasted the code , the process happens more quickly.Editor starts to hang after typing any character and when i've restarted the IDE , editor returns to normal and i type and copy/paste a while , ide starts to hang again.
Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  5:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And also i can say ,VAX works on a a clean installation : Clean OS,Clean VS2008,Clean VAX

And as i mentioned above, it happens on all of the files independent from a specific one.
Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  5:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry , a missing information.

As a plug-in Incredibuild Visual Studio 2008 plug-in is installed.But slow-down is not related with Incredibuild, because it happens when there is no active build

Extra : VS20008 SP1 used
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  05:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can give u the hint to attach from another VS without any plugins running to attach on the slowed down VS, break and look at the callstack what is happening there. I had similar problems with Refactor!.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you try adding a new empty cpp file to your solution please, and see if you get the problem when typing in this file?

An empty file is important, since one of your common #include statements might be part of the problem. If so the problem will show up in most files in your solution.

Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  4:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reverted to 1711 version ,Sorry.

Due to this situation i can not try that right now.I'll try to do that as soon as i have time.

But i also want to say that i'm working with 1711 and same projects and it runs just fine :)
Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  4:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre.host

Thanks, i know how to attach to another process.But due to slowdown occurs in keystrokes , you can not just stop other process while coding in another VS IDE.If you can solve this problem then tell me :)
Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  04:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, guys

I've installed VAX 1722 to try what have changed and if slow down problem is solved.

First,it worked normally but after a while editor suddenly started to response slowly. I've tried many settings( also cleared and rebuilded cache) and it doesn't make any change. I can only code in editor when settings in VAX configuration is in minimum level.

I'll update thread with new try-outs.But it's a desperate situation for me.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  12:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Approximately how long was it before the slow down occurred? 5 minutes? 3 hours? 3 days?

If you run FileMon:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx

and filter it to only show the IDE does this offer any clues? Are specific files or directories getting "a lot" of activity?

Without more information about what is happening I am really not sure what to say. High CPU usage suggests template heavy code, and code that VA struggles with. Problems like this are normally file specific.

If you add a new empty cpp file to your solution and just type into this file do you still see this problem?
Do you see this problem in a new default solution?

Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  07:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, i've downloaded also 1723 , i'll try it with the tool.
Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  07:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually code i dealt with VAX is light-templated code. And as i see , it's something like display problem. Maybe Remote display optimization may cause that.

I've inspected change log and i see that "Reduced flicker when running through Remote Desktop" in 1715. The previous version 1711 works just great with solution. and due to these clues ,I'll uncheck VAX 1723 remote display optimization option to solve problem.

But that is only a guess, maybe problem is different

Edited by - AGPX on Apr 28 2009 08:00:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  12:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are running over remote desktop? This is news to me.

If you are where are you seeing the CPU problem, on the local machine or the remote machine where the IDE is actually running, or both machines?

Go to Top of Page

AGPX

28 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  4:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No no , i'm not running over remote desktop,i'm running on local, i only think cause of the problem maybe "remote desktop optimization".
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA 1723 has added a check box to the options dialog for an existing setting. In VA 1715 and above you can turn off Remote Desktop Optimisation via the registry:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W366

As the name suggests this only effects users working over Remote Desktop, it effects how the screen is drawn / updated. This should have nothing to do with what you are seeing, but it is easy enough to test by turning this setting on and off.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000