New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2003 :  11:11:16 AM  Show Profile
As already mentioned, the support button is without function.

On most of the pages, the tab order is out of order.
The Templates page does not allow to reach the edit box by keyboard.

Whats the purpose of the explorer poping up when you click on the label of the Directories page?

The toolbar of the directories listbox does not have the "nice" tooltips, instead it shows the ugly, yellow, default ones :)

The directories page always shows the warning even when you make no changes to settings.

ESC does not cancel/close the options dialog.

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2003 :  04:05:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I must say VA X is really great. (I couldn't have imagined that the last released version of VA could be made so much better.)

I have two additions to this posting:
1. Open the window Text Editor\\General in the options dialog.
Place your mouse on top of one option. Hence a real beautiful tooltip is shown.
Move your mouse horizontally and real quickly of this window. (Don't leave time to let the mouse pointer post a message about being on that window, but not on that control.)
Click on for instance Text Editor\\Correction.
Hence the tooltip is still being shown.

If this doesn't work, try this (this is easier):
Make sure that another application is opened at full screen.
Place your mouse on top of one option and wait for the tooltip to show up.
Press ALT+TAB to go to the full screened application.
Hence the VA tooltip is still there.

2. At the c/c++ Directories tab of Projects, all the path's are in this format:
[Directory of current project]\\$(VCInstallDir)[something]
Where [something] can be "include", "atlmfc\\include", etc. (note there is no backslash between $(VCInstallDir) and [something].
I've changed al these paths. But, when I go to another options window and go back, and the select another item at "Show Directories for:", all the paths are the same again...

I hope you can do something with this.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Edited by - PatLuja on Nov 25 2003 04:07:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2003 :  09:38:38 AM  Show Profile
Ouch, found a bad one: the settings for Options|Text Editor|Completion are not (always) saved properly.

This seems to be related to a) multiple instances of MSDEV and b) MSDEV not terminating.

I did not yet figure out exactly what is going on, but the settings are not persisted properly always.

Edited by - Uniwares on Nov 25 2003 10:26:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2003 :  09:42:51 AM  Show Profile
And "Surround Selection does not work anymore" is related to the options which are somehow reset/lost/forgotten. The "Surround" option was set in the dialog, yet VA did NOT do it. My most beloved function gone? Not working anymore? Fortunately, unchecking and checking again the setting in the options dialog brought it back to me.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2003 :  10:28:58 AM  Show Profile
There is one setting which seems to be a bit lost: "Use default intellisense when available"
It is under "Text Editor|C/C++", but there is also a section "Text Editor|IntelliSense", this is where I would expect this setting.
The settinge in these two sections are almost interchangeable.
Go to Top of Page

Darren
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2003 :  01:13:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
As already mentioned, the support button is without function.
You're right. Should be remedied soon. Thanks.
quote:
On most of the pages, the tab order is out of order.
I just finished fixing tab order. Thanks.
quote:
The Templates page does not allow to reach the edit box by keyboard.
Noted. It's on the list now. Thanks.
quote:
Whats the purpose of the explorer poping up when you click on the label of the Directories page?
Please be more descriptive. I'm not following.
quote:

The toolbar of the directories listbox does not have the "nice" tooltips, instead it shows the ugly, yellow, default ones :)
Ya, they are ugly. I started messing with that early on but it got put on the back burner, where it still sits. :)
quote:
The directories page always shows the warning even when you make no changes to settings.
Hmmmm....Is this still happening?
quote:

Yup, I took the escape out because it bothered me that one could lose the settings they just clicked if you hit the esc by accident.

Good input. Thanks,
Darren
Go to Top of Page

Darren
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2003 :  01:23:20 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Hello all,
I must say VA X is really great. (I couldn't have imagined that the last released version of VA could be made so much better.)
Thank you very much.
quote:

I have two additions to this posting:
1. Open the window Text Editor\\General in the options dialog.
Place your mouse on top of one option. Hence a real beautiful tooltip is shown.
Move your mouse horizontally and real quickly of this window. (Don't leave time to let the mouse pointer post a message about being on that window, but not on that control.)
Click on for instance Text Editor\\Correction.
Hence the tooltip is still being shown.

If this doesn't work, try this (this is easier):
Make sure that another application is opened at full screen.
Place your mouse on top of one option and wait for the tooltip to show up.
Press ALT+TAB to go to the full screened application.
Hence the VA tooltip is still there.

Cool feature, huh. :) Ya, I've noticed that before too. I should throw in some "when my parent isn't the active window go away" code. It's on the list. Thanks.
quote:
2. At the c/c++ Directories tab of Projects, all the path's are in this format:
[Directory of current project]\\$(VCInstallDir)[something]
Where [something] can be "include", "atlmfc\\include", etc. (note there is no backslash between $(VCInstallDir) and [something].
I've changed al these paths. But, when I go to another options window and go back, and the select another item at "Show Directories for:", all the paths are the same again...
That's interesting. I believe all those values are originally taken from Visual Studio registry entries as in Tools->Options->Projects->VC++ Directories. How do they look in there? As I'm sure you're aware anything like $(VCInstallDir) is looking for the environment variable VCInstallDir. If you don't have that set this could potentially get messed up. Let me know and I'll take another look. Thanks, Darren
Go to Top of Page

Darren
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2003 :  01:28:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Ouch, found a bad one: the settings for Options|Text Editor|Completion are not (always) saved properly.
Please be specific on which option is not gettings saved. They should all be persisted. Please check in the next release and let me know.
quote:

This seems to be related to a) multiple instances of MSDEV and b) MSDEV not terminating.
Of course multiple instances can whack settings if you're not careful. I've found, in any application that I run multiple instances of, to be sure to close out the one with "throw away" settings first and then close out the one that has the settings I want to save. As I'm sure you know, most applications persist to the registry on close. Now if msdev is not terminating, that makes things a bit trickier.
quote:
I did not yet figure out exactly what is going on, but the settings are not persisted properly always.
Please let me know if you still see this in the next release.

Thanks,
Darren
Go to Top of Page

Darren
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2003 :  01:32:51 AM  Show Profile
quote:
[And "Surround Selection does not work anymore" is related to the options which are somehow reset/lost/forgotten. The "Surround" option was set in the dialog, yet VA did NOT do it. My most beloved function gone? Not working anymore? Fortunately, unchecking and checking again the setting in the options dialog brought it back to me.
The thing you probably understand now is that Text Editor->C/C++->Surround selection... and Text Editor->General->Surround selection... work hand in hand. That's why I put the tooltip on the disabled text in C/C++.

When it wasn't/isn't working do both places have a check in the checkbox?

Thanks,
Darren
Go to Top of Page

Darren
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2003 :  01:34:39 AM  Show Profile
quote:
There is one setting which seems to be a bit lost: "Use default intellisense when available"
It is under "Text Editor|C/C++", but there is also a section "Text Editor|IntelliSense", this is where I would expect this setting.
The settinge in these two sections are almost interchangeable.
You must be using VC6. In the VC7 there is no Text Editor->IntelliSense page. That's why it's where it is. :)

Thanks,
Darren
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2003 :  12:38:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Darren
quote:
Please be more descriptive. I'm not following.

When you click on the label at the bottom which reads "Stable includes" or "Other includes", etc., then an explorer window pops up.

quote:
quote:
Hmmmm....Is this still happening?

As of build 1203 it seems to be gone.

quote:
quote:
Yup, I took the escape out because it bothered me that one could lose the settings they just clicked if you hit the esc by accident.

Dont remember when I ever hit ESC by accident (well, except for the times when one of my cats walked over the keyboard, but thats another story), personally I like when a dialog behaves like a dialog.

quote:
quote:
I believe all those values are originally taken from Visual Studio registry entries as in Tools->Options->Projects->VC++ Directories

Reminds me of one machine where I could not change the settings of the paths in VC. I had to modify them in the registry. And this was not related to VA, rather some weird bug in VC6.

quote:
quote:
This seems to be related to a) multiple instances of MSDEV and b) MSDEV not terminatin

Of course multiple instances can whack settings if you're not careful. I've found, in any application that I run multiple instances of, to be sure to close out the one with "throw away" settings first and then close out the one that has the settings I want to save.

In my opinion, applications should ALWAYS save settings immediately and if there is a possibility of multiple instances, check before overwriting. Nothing worse than setting options and loosing them because of whatever (crash, power failure, etc).

quote:
The thing you probably understand now is that Text Editor->C/C++->Surround selection... and Text Editor->General->Surround selection... work hand in hand. That's why I put the tooltip on the disabled text in C/C++.

When it wasn't/isn't working do both places have a check in the checkbox?

Now that you mention it - the setting in Text Editor|C/C++ is always disabled but reflects the setting in General. I find that a bit confusing. Anyway after enabling it and making sure it was persisted, it seems to work as it used to.

quote:
You must be using VC6. In the VC7 there is no Text Editor->IntelliSense page. That's why it's where it is. :)

Yes I am. Still, I dont really get the point.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2003 :  10:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Text Editor|IntelliSense contains the settings we require for VC++ 6.0 but not for VS.NET. The dialog does not appear in our options for VS.NET. The delineation was made for technical and documentation purposes -- not per common sense.

We acknowledge the confusion. We will consider renaming the IntelliSense dialog to something like, "Settings that override the Intellisense settings in the VC++ 6.0 options dialog." If that doesn't work, we will consider reorganizing our settings.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2003 :  07:48:09 AM  Show Profile
Did you ever try to navigate the tree in the options dialog by keyboard down AND up? (I'm talking about VS6 of course)
It is simply not possible. Not that its a big issue...
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  11:03:56 AM  Show Profile
Hello Darren, Uniwares and all the others,

All directories in VA now seem to look fine. The directories in the VS.Net options do look fine either.

But I've noticed that all the VA-directorie windows (Stable include files, Other stable include files and Library source files) have the same content.
And try this:
Delete some directories in Stable include files, then press Apply, Open the Other stable include window, go back to the stable include window and press OK. (You'll see a few windows on the way.) Open the options again. The content in the stable include window is restored, the deleted directories are missing in the other stable include window.

Sorry, I don't have any time left for now, I will have a look at it another time.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2003 :  03:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

As I said, I would look into the matter.

I've noticed that all three of the directory windows gave the same directories (which were now displayed well). I've tried to remove a few directories for the stable include files (and I left a few there). I've pressed Apply, I did go to the "Other stable include" window. I received a message I had to restart my IDE in order to make the changes work. In this "Other stable include" window, the same directories were showed as in the "Stable include files" windows, before I had deleted anything. Without changing anything in "Other stable include", I did go back to the "Stable include files" window. I received another IDE-restart-message. The window displays the right directories (so without the deleted ones). I've pressed OK and received yet another IDE-restart-message (I must say the message was already clear at this point ).
I opened the options dialog again, the directories in the "Stable include files" had been restored (so also the deleted ones were there). But these directories were now missing in the "Other stable include" window.
Have the two been swapped or maybe the "Stable include files" were transfered to "Other stable include" and the "Stable include files" were restored from the VS.Net options. (Oh yeah, I'm using VS.Net and VA X 1204.)

Today (the first restart after the thing above) I've just received a message: Visual Assist was unable to find a system include path. Press ok to add an include path manually. Both the "Stable include files" and "Other include files" were empty, only the "Library source files" were filled with the same data I've started with in the first place.

I'll fill the directories with the appropriate data and see what happens...
If one fills the data, please be sure to press Apply, else the data won't be stored... (Try switching to another window and back, without saving; the justly filled directories are gone...)
Well well well... So I've switched from "Other stable include" to "Stable include files" without pressing Apply. When I got back the directories are gone. I go to "Stable include files" again and add a directory, I've pressed Apply and I go to "Other stable include", instead of seeing the empty directory list, I've got all the entries from the "Stable include files"... (I'm almost going crazy here...)
WHAH! After entering the data for the "Other stable include files" and pressing Apply thereafter, the "Stable include files" window is EMPTY!!! (I am going crazy here...)
Switching between the three windows made it worse! Now all windows are empty!!! Please Help...

Remark: The user interface for specifying directories isn't natural. I like to press F2 to change an entry. Instead the entry beneath is opened.

Oh yeah, another thing. I've copied the values from the old VA into a file (including the semi-colons). I had paste them into the VA X options at first (now I don't anymore). Maybe this could be a clue to you.

I really hope you can do something about it. It is messing up whole my VA (the auto-completion etc. isn't functioning well, and I thing this could be the culprit).
Thank you guys...

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2003 :  07:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

The thing with de directories (in the options dialog) isn't getting any better. I can enter directories in the stable include files, but the next time I run VS I have a 50% chance that their gone and I the message I've stated in a reply before.

Could you please take a look at it? Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

P.S. Darren or support, please reply. If you have any questions, I'm pleased to help you...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000