Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Does VAX work with individual files, not in a sln?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moby Disk

8 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  08:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a bunch of directories with source code that is not associated with a Visual Studio project file. I just use it as an editor. Although highlighting works, "Go To Definition" does not work. The toolbars and VA Outline work though. Is the "Go To Definition" provided by Visual Studio or VAX?

I'd especially like to use VAX to "Go to definition" to other .h and .cpp files in the directory. Should this work? OR do I just need to make a Visual Studio project file, and put my code into it, and just not use the compiler?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In part it depends on the version of VA you are using. From the history of changes page, VA 1707 added:

* New! Added support for makefile projects (e.g. solutions without files) by parsing the physical directory tree of files as they are opened. (case=18918)

so if you are using VA 1707 or a newer build then VA should be parsing the files in the same directory as the open files.

If you are using an older version then making a project file and adding your files, and simply ignoring the compiler is a good, and hopefully fairly simple solution.

If you right click on a symbol and select "Go To Definition" or "Go To Declaration" then you are triggering IDE commands. Use Alt-g instead to trigger the VA command.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Moby Disk

8 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  7:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alt-g! Yeeha!

Can you change it so that the menu option is replaced with that?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  11:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is unlikely to happen any time soon. One reason is that sometimes the IDE's Go to declaration command does something more useful than VA's alt-g.

This page might be of interest:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/goto.asp

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000