Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Enhancement: Improved "Go To Definition" (Alt+G)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psherm85

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  5:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find the Go To Declaration/Definition functionality invaluable for navigating through source code. However, there is a way in which I'd like to see it improved.

Let's say we have a class hierarchy with class A and B, where B inherits A and overrides one of it's methods, f. Now let's say there's another method in A, g, that calls f and let's say in another class C, I have code such as "B b; b.g()". Now, I don't know what g() does and am trying to figure it out, so I press Alt+g with my cursor on it, which takes me to the definition of A::g. There I see f, which I've never seen before either, so I press Alt+g on it. However, in this case it takes me to A::f(), even though what I really want to see is B::f(), since that's what's ultimately called by the code in class C. I'd like to see a feature that conveniently handles this scenario. One way I can think of is to have a list of overridden versions of a function if I click on the function name. But maybe as "task" approach would work too, if it's easy to define my current task as figuring out what "g" does. Regardless, anything that improves my ability to figure out what g does in this case would be much appreciated.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One feature you can use here is the Find References results. You can trigger it by

Right click on method -> Refactor (VA X) -> Find References

Find References finds overridden method declarations and implementations and even callings.
We are considering a feature to filter within Find References Results:

case=2867

So you will be able to filter out the callings to get only the overridden definitions and declarations.
Go to Top of Page

psherm85

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  10:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being able to filter the Find References results to only include overrides would be very helpful in this scenario and others. Ideally, I'd also be able to assign a shortcut to finding overridden definitions that would perform the action when pressed with the cursor on the identifier. Thank you, I hope this feature is included in a future release.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000