Technical Support
 Black boxes replacing VAssist symbol info
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grizzlymiller

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  11:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I am using VA 1715 but have had this problem for quite some time. Imagine you are typing in "this->" then a window appears to show the possible members of "this". That looks fine. However, it also tries to show a box to the right of each entry in this list to show information about it.

For me this is just a black rendered rectangle! This happens for several bits of popup info in vassist including the function parameters info that appears with Ctrl+Shift+Space.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks,

Adam

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  5:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Can you post a screen shot of the effect you are seeing?

Are you running WindowBlinds, or any other program that might change how tooltips, and other GUI items are drawn?
Are you using remote desktop or multiple monitors?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

grizzlymiller

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  05:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, my system info is:

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1715.0 built 2009.01.25
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.1
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7000.0
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7000
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;

You may notice there that I am using Windows 7. Previously I was using Windows XP and had exactly the same problem. I am running no other programs out of the ordinary that you suggest.

Sadly I cannot take a screenshot, it just won't seem to paste into Windows Paint /sigh

But literally it looks as though the vassist symbol info box is trying to be drawn, but it just draws a black filled rectangle instead.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  12:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have more than one monitor on your system? We have another user reporting a similar sounding problem, which only shows up when the IDE is on the second monitor.

Does turning the option:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips

off and on make any difference to this?

Go to Top of Page

grizzlymiller

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  2:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have only a single monitor on my current system. I have rebooted since I reported the issue and currently the problem is gone however I shall try changing the tooltips colouring option and report back next time it occurs.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  11:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad the problem has been fixed for now. Hopefully it won't come back for a while.

Go to Top of Page

grizzlymiller

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  09:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alas it has happened again and turning off the tooltip colouring makes no difference :(
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  12:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When this has happened to me, it was in conjunction with another application that was running. I don't remember which application - firefox? thunderbird? windows exlorer (shell)?

Try closing some of the other apps that are running and then check for the problem after closing each one to see if there is any effect.

You can kill the shell (explorer.exe) - but keep task manager open so that you can restart it (Alt+F, Run, explorer.exe).
Go to Top of Page

grizzlymiller

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  06:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have closed down every app running except visual studio one by one and still the problem remains. This symbol information is so useful it would be great to figure this out.
Go to Top of Page

grizzlymiller

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  07:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I even tried closing VS so nothing (other than background processes) was running, restarted VS and the problem is still there. Something seems to happen to cause this which then seems to necessitate me actually rebooting to fix it :(
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  10:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does logging out and then logging back in (not switch user, but actually ending the session) rather than rebooting fix the problem?

Can you try setting up a temporary user account and see if it is affected when the problem is happening to your regular user account?
Go to Top of Page

stevethresh

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  10:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been affected by this problem since installing build 1721. Logging out (of windows) and back in again fixes it. Turning off the tooltip colouring option makes no difference but one odd thing I spotted in the quick config is that none of the colouring radio buttons were selected (does that indicate bespoke settings?). I'll try and work out what triggers the problem and report back.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  3:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The radio buttons in the Quick Config page will not have any selection if your current settings in the advanced pages do not match the settings to which the radio buttons correspond (no radio button is checked if you have custom settings).

Thanks for confirmation that log out without reboot clears the problem. Next time it occurs, try exiting other running processes (before resorting to log out) to see if some combination clears the problem.
Go to Top of Page

Kushan

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  12:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the exact same issue. I have tried completely reinstalling VS2008 and VAX in various combinations, but the problem comes back.
One thing worth noting is that I am also running Windows 7.

Strangely, I have a laptop that's also running Windows 7 and the problem hasn't appeared there, but one thing possibly worth pointing out is that the desktop (where the problem occurs) has an nVidia graphics card while the laptop has an ATI card. Could it possibly be a driver issue?

I get the issue pretty much immediately, so restarting or logging off/on wont really make a difference =\
EDIT: I was able to screenshot it -

Edited by - Kushan on Apr 07 2009 12:41:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

grizzlymiller

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  04:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work managing to screen cap it! That's exactly what my problem looks like as well. To recap one of my earlier posts, it always used to happen to me on WinXP as well so its not a win7 specific issue. Interesting point about the nvidia graphics card though; both the machines I have experienced this on have had nvidia graphics cards in.
Go to Top of Page

grizzlymiller

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  10:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just had it happen again and have tried a few different things this time. I switched to a different local user (without logging out the original one) and under a new visual studio it was fine.

I then switched back to the original user and the problem remains.

Then I changed to a lower screen resolution and the problem disappeared, changing back to the higher original resolution brought the problem back once more.

So this is becoming more likely to be a graphics driver related issue it seems. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Kushan

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  11:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It probably is a graphics driver related issue, all of the beta drivers for Windows 7 that I've tried have had some odd issues.
For example, I'm currently running at 1900x1080, despite my monitor's naitive resolution being 1900x1200 because when I select THAT resolution, it switches to 800x600. I have no idea how to fix this, I'm going to try and install some Vista drivers and see if that helps because that's been annoying me.

I've got an nvidia card, a Geforce 9800GTX and as I said, my ATI laptop seems unaffected.
Go to Top of Page

Kushan

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  12:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the double post, but I feel this is worth mentioning:

I just installed the latest OFFICIAL driver from nVidia, that is, the latest Official VISTA driver (182.5), even though I'm running windows 7. It appears to have fixed the problem!

I'll report back here if the problem returns, but it's been working for longer than it ever has before.
Go to Top of Page

Kushan

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  02:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black boxes are back :(

Now they're starting to appear on my laptop.
Really not sure what's causing this, very confused.

Could it have something to do with the number of files VAX has to parse? I'm linking in quite a lot of libraries in this project.
Go to Top of Page

grizzlymiller

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  12:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, any further developments on this issue?
Go to Top of Page

Kushan

5 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  12:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to upgrade from the W7 beta to build 7077 and it SEEMS to have helped with the black boxes, but I've not had the IDE open much since I upgraded, so I cannot say for sure.

No doubt WT wont take the issue too seriously until it's on their officially supported software list.

Edited by - Kushan on Apr 15 2009 12:30:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000