Feature Requests
 [Bug] VA doesn't support special char in snippets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GroovyGregory

8 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  09:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I do use a snippet for documentation, that uses a special character, that is still in the ANSI standard (codepage 1252).

It looks like this:
//G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??
/// Description
///
/// @param (type) Name
/// @return (type)
//G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??G??

(Because of the font, you will see a straight line in visual studio)

The special character is: G??

I can safely use this character in Visual Studio, but when i paste it into the snippet editor, VA transforms it into a normal minus sign ("-").

When I edit the snippet file, it even displays it correctly in the snippet editor, but whenever I "execute" the snippet, the sign will be replaced with an unknown other character.

Is there any chance this may get fixed?

Edited by - GroovyGregory on Jun 11 2009 09:40:43 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  3:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is currently a known limitation that we are hoping to fix one day:

case=1160

Are you using a localised OS or IDE? We had a user who wanted to use the copyright symbol / character in a VA Snippet, and after inserting this directly into the TPL file the snippet worked correctly. So I am a little surprised that directly editing the file did not work for you.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

GroovyGregory

8 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  6:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here are some tests that I made.

Putting the dash (U+2014) into the JS.tpl with ANSI encoding will result in VA transforming the character into U+0097. As Notepad++ is doing the same, when switching between ANSI and UTF-8, it doesn't seem to be VA's fault.

Now comes the funny part. If save JS.tpl in UTF-8 the problem stays the same. But if I save it in UTF-8 AND add a real dash (U+2014) somewhere next to the converted dashes (U+0097), VA will output the converted dashes correctly but show the correct dash as the three letters "+?G??G?", which is one char for every byte of the unicode. save the same file without changes as ANSI again, and the result is the same.

maybe this helps you a little. it is all kinda weird.

cheers.

p.s. i am using German Win 7 RC and English Visual Studio
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  2:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for running these tests, the results are certainly interesting. This suggests there is something "special" about the copyright symbol character which allows it to work.

The basic problem at work here is limited support for Unicode in various parts of VA. We are working on this, and improving Unicode support, but we need to do so without breaking loads of things along the way.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000