1727: VA Snippet window hides when tooltip display
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ice_berge_00

8 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  11:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Wanted to say awesome tool and love using it. I'm using VS2005 Professional w/SP1 and just upgraded to VA X 10.5 build 1727 from build 1724.

I noticed that when editing code Snippets in the VA Snippet Editor that whenever a tool tip is displayed by hovering over an entry in the list of snippets along the left side, the Snippet Editor and VA options window disappear/hide and you cannot access the editor.

Once this happens the VS2005 window is locked and cannot be accessed, even after the tool tip disappears.

If you alt-tab a to another process, then back you can get this back.

Also hitting the Escape key seems to close the Snippet Editor and return you to VA options, so it seems to still have keyboard focus.

Thanks and regards,
Ice

P.S.
If you need more info I'll be happy to add more details. It seems fairly straight forward to reproduce but I know that isn't always the case.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  4:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is certainly not supposed to happen, and so far I cannot reproduce the problem.

Which OS are you using?
Are you logged in as an administrator or a limited user?
Are you running any utilities or programs that might effect how the mouse or tooltips work / appear? Window Blinds from Stardock is one such possible program.
Do you have any other IDE plugin's installed?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ice_berge_00

8 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  6:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was a little odd ;)

We use Windows XP w/SP2
Logged in as an acct with Administrator privileges
No Window Blinds, but I do have MS Intellimouse (have to check on the version) and nVidia's nView installed
Just our add-ins we make for our product, but I will check if it does the same behavior when the add-ins aren't installed.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please do try without your addin's, they may be causing a problem somehow. Are you connecting via remote desktop when you see this problem?

Some users have reported problems with version 6.x of MS Intellimouse over remote desktop, so it might be a factor here as well.

Go to Top of Page

ice_berge_00

8 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  12:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've verified that with no other add-ins (via add-in manager) that I can still reproduce this. I am not using remote desktop when reproducing this.

However, since you haven't seen this, I also asked one of our other engineers to try reproducing it on his machine and he could not. We compared some differences and as I mentioned before I have nVidia's nView Desktop Manager installed.

We have seen issues before with nView and Visual C++ 6.0 with debugging. So I tried disabling nView completely and restarting the VS2005 IDE and the problem went away.

I then reenabled it, while VS2005 was open, and could not reproduce the issue, but after restarting the IDE it showed up again. Looks like an interaction between 'nView Desktop Manager' being enabled and Visual Assist. At this point it could be a bug with nView as well but hopefully this helps to reproduce the issue.

I am using nVidia nView Destop Manager version 120.93 on an nVidia Quadro FX 370 card, in case this helps.

Looks like this is a fairly specific issue based on what it happening.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  1:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this desktop manager come bundled with your video driver, or is it a separate download? So far I am not finding a download link for this.

As a temporary work around, if you open the VA Snippet editor via the "Insert VA Snippet" toolbar button on the VA Toolbar instead do you still see this problem?

Go to Top of Page

ice_berge_00

8 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  2:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It comes bundled as part of running the video driver install from nvidia.com, but I think only with the 32bit Windows XP driver install. I don't believe I've ever seen anything relating to nView on my Vista machine at home. It has been awhile since I did the install on a Windows XP for a GeForce series card but I think that also had the nView Desktop Manager.

Typically I access the nView through the nVidia icon in the system tray by the click (Right click->nView Desktop Manager).

Also using the method you suggested shows the same issue.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  1:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have asked internally to see if anyone is running this program, to see if they can test it.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  7:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which version of nView are you using?

One of our developers is using version 120.64 and cannot reproduce the problem. Does this require any specific settings in nView to trigger?

Do you have multiple monitors on your system? If so does this happen on all of the monitors or only some of them?

Go to Top of Page

ice_berge_00

8 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using version 120.93.

I have 2 LCD panels (DVI connection, 1280x1024, 32 bit color) with nView set to Dual View. The problem happens on ether monitor.

I was able to narrow it down to the problem only happens when the follow options are enabled:
Under the right click for nVidia Settings at the system tray
1) Right Click->nView Desktop Manager->nView Properties
2) On the nView Desktop Manager dialog that comes up, select the User Interface Tab
3) Under "Title Bar Buttons" check the box for "nView options" or "Next Display"
This should add a small bar to each windows top bar, just to the left of the "minimize, maximize, close" buttons.
I normally have both of those options enabled, but after I completely reinstalled (to check if I had a corrupted setup) I can still get it to happen if either of those, or both are enabled.

If I uncheck all of those so that the nView "Title Bar Buttons" do not show up at all, then there are no problems with the Visual Assist edit snippets window tool tips.
Go to Top of Page

ice_berge_00

8 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the version 182.46 quadro driver install to get the nView version 120.93
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  3:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I have asked about these specific settings.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000