VS 2008/Win7 Problem with multiple instances
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

u_winkelmann

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  11:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

I'm having a problem with multiple Instances of VS2008 and VAX Build 1727 (had the same problem with build 1524 though).
Each instance of VS 2008 but the first has Visual Assist disabled. This only occurs if I start VS 2008 without admin privileges. When starting VS using "Run as Administrator", everything works fine. I am using Windows 7 RC 7100 and have UAC enabled, and am using a multi user license of VAX.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ulf

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  11:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ulf,

does not seem to be a general problem:

I have VS2008 with VAX on my Win7 x64 RTM and cannot repro with your steps. UAC is enabled and I started two non admin VS2008 IDEs.

I used Win7 RC (both x86 and x64) before the RTM for several weeks and did not see your issue there. But I am not 100% sure that I started two non admin IDEs at the same time (doing some SharePoint stuff recently which works better when VS runs as admin).

--
SvenC
Go to Top of Page

u_winkelmann

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  02:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I investigated some further, and the problem is not related to VAX at all. In fact it's a pretty unfortunate conicidence. I have VS pinned to the taskbar, as I mentioned in my first post. Now I regularly work with multiple instances of VS, which I start using Shift-Click on the Icon in the pinnned program list. Unfortunately, holding Shift when starting VS prevents any addins from loading. Now you probably begin to see the problem . So, it's only this very useful new feature of Windows 7, which allows to start a new instance of a pinned program, and me not releasing Shift fast enough, or having too fast a computer really that caused this.
I have now begun to use the middle mouse button to start the other instances, which works just fine.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers

Ulf
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  02:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ulf, that is really a funny coincidence of keyboard shortcut collision
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. It is good to know that you found the solution, since other people are likely to encounter the same problem over time.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000