New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dany

Germany
41 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  06:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

the new suggestions are sometimes obstructive while typing as shown below.

After typing in the opening brace, the situation in the image above appears. I would prefer, that the suggestion is not yet selected after it appears and needs an 'arrow down' to begin the navigation. This is, because if I'm typing in the next letter, the suggestion is inserted (in this case wrongly). This happens to me a lot after typing in the equals sign and hitting the space bar (yes, I've got 'Any character not valid in a symbol' active).

The function itself seems a valuable approach though!

Dany

// using VAX in C# of VS2010 SP1 (en), Win 7 SP1 (de)

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  1:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like this is happening because of the "Committed by pressing the space bar" checkbox in Tools | Options | Text Editor | C# | Intellisense.

Maybe if that option is enabled, no VA suggestion should ever be pre-selected?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  2:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consider this simple example:

void boolParameterHere(bool param1) { }

void testCallingFunction()
{
    boolParameterHere(|)
}

Here VA will suggest "true" and "false" and any local bool variables you have as possible parameters with one of the new suggestion listboxes. In this case the suggestion listbox is almost certain to contain the parameter you want to pass.

How can VA tell when it should place focus into a suggestion listbox and when it should not? This is why we normally recommend turning off accepting with "Any character not valid in a symbol"

I have just tried this here, and "null" compiles quite happily as a parameter for type "string" in C#, VS2005, so its not automatically obvious that this is a "bad" suggestion.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  2:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also you might want to check that you don't have this registry key set, which makes sure suggestions always appear with one of them selected:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W350

Go to Top of Page

Dany

Germany
41 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  02:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm,

it seemed to me that the behavior has changed since you extended the suggestions, because I never experienced this behavior before.

I've been playing around a little bit.
E.g. MessageBox.Show: after typing the opening parenthesis there is a suggestion from surrounding code 'this,' which is mostly unfocused. But deleting the parenthesis (the suggestion pops up below the line now and without the parenthesis!) and reentering it leads sometimes to an automated closing parenthesis with the focused suggestion from surrounded code (you may wait a minute before retyping the opening parenthesis).

On the other hand with some 3rd party controls a suggestion from surrounding code is not displayed (sheetView.SetText(0, (int)eCols.Name, "test"); of a spread component gives no suggestion at all on typing a new sheetView.SetText().

@feline:
I've had a look to that link of yours. ListboxSelectionStyle is not present and SuggestionSelect is set to 1. I then renamed the existing entry (as suggested) and the behavior stayed the same. Setting it to 2 gave me automatic parenthesis to that sheetView.SetText (selected via TAB from suggestions) but no further suggestions. MessageBox.Show gave me automatic parenthesis with focused suggestion (as expected).
But now, even setting ListboxSelectionStyle=1 keeps this ever focusing behavior never getting back to the state before (even by renaming the registry key). Strange...
Actually it seems to me, that I get the automatic parenthesis on committing a suggestion for every method now (other than before).

@sean:
I don't know, if I would go that far, but thanks all the same...

Sorry for that possibly confusing post, but it reflects my 'sentiment'...

Dany

Edited by - Dany on Sep 07 2009 02:41:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The behaviour has changed in VA 1734, with the introduction of new "scoped suggestions" which are intended to be fairly accurate and thus helpful. This is probably behind what you are seeing.

Obviously they are not working as well as they should. I am not sure of the best way forward, but obviously this needs looking at carefully.

I am puzzled by you getting different results when you retype the same code. If this was purely down to the scoped suggestions then you should be getting a consistent result.

I have asked internally about this.

Go to Top of Page

Dany

Germany
41 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  11:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something got changed after setting the registry key, so that the behavior is 'consistent'.

But at the moment it is disturbing me a little, so that I disabled the 'Include suggestions' option, which works fairly well for me now.

Thank you all the same, I'll keep looking in, if you guys come up with news in this case.

Cheers.

Dany

Go to Top of Page

Dany

Germany
41 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  07:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got some new information.

As I stated before, I have disabled 'Include suggestions in listboxes' and 'Include VA Snippets in listboxes'. I have also tried with the registry 'ListboxSelectionStyle=1' and without the key at all (just renamed it) respectively. I also rebuilt the database (several times).

Now I get the following picture after typing a blank space after the equals sign. Just when I press ctrl+space I get the correct enumeration type. Noticeable is the fact, that the tool tip contradicts the list (on both entries)!

Dany

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  1:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, we are working on a fix...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  08:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should be improved in VA 1735:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

Go to Top of Page

Dany

Germany
41 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  04:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information.

With 1735 the issue of my last post is still occurring, when 'Include suggestions in listboxes' is checked (though the misleading tool tip vanished [Edit] and the icons are now similar to the screenshot below). If unchecked the suggestion list is fine. 'FilterCharacteristic' is of type 'enum eFilterCharacteristics', so that I would not expect the displayed listbox at all.

I got another one (displaying right after hitting the space bar):

These suggestions come first after hitting the space bar behind the equals sign, and second after 'escaping' it away, typing the string literal and hitting the space bar again. Thats really obstructive, because one has to hit escape a lot.

I would like to suggest, that the option 'Any character not valid in a symbol' would exclude the (double) quote key, because it is unlikely that they appear right after a valid symbol, or would they?

I know that such a solution is just not sufficiently enough, because I'll get a 'null(' when I'm typing an opening parenthesis (and so on).

On the other hand, there may be a solution like in this case:

The 'null' is not selected yet. Maybe you can clarify your intention behind the two different cases? Or another option 'Selections committed with' solely for the suggestions to steer this behavior would be more adequate?

P.S.:
I also made sure to set 'SuggestionSelect=01' and 'ListboxSelectionStyle=01'. But even deleting those made no difference.

Dany

Edited by - Dany on Sep 14 2009 05:44:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  6:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First up the variable FilterCharacteristic with the screen shot a couple of posts up. If you disable VA via the menu item:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

and retype the " = " what happens? With VA disabled I am expecting the IDE to suggest the enum type, so you can accept that, type a dot, and get a list of the enum items this enum type contains. This is what happens for me in simple test cases.

The suggestions on typing a literal string, this is clearly not ideal. I am asking about this internally. For now try editing the character list:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C# -> IntelliSense -> Committed by typing the following characters:

and removing the double quote. This helps for me.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  10:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The string literal problem is case=32256.

The FilterCharacteristic problem is likely some sort of parsing error - possibly with the AdditionalConnectors array.
Go to Top of Page

Dany

Germany
41 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  01:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@feline
Yes, turning off VAX brings up the correct suggestion (you just need to type in a blank space behind the existing equals sign, but retyping it works as well).
I've not been aware (anymore), that there is a list of characters in the standard options, so thank you for pointing it out to me.

@sean
Thank you for the information.

Dany

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  11:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=32256 is fixed in build 1736
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  12:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Dany
What is the type of device.AdditionalConnectors?
Go to Top of Page

Dany

Germany
41 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  02:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean

@Dany
What is the type of device.AdditionalConnectors?

It is a property as follows:
public AdditionalConnector[] AdditionalConnectors { get{...}; set{...}; }

Where AdditionalConnector is a class.

Dany

Edited by - Dany on Sep 24 2009 02:32:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  12:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - case=32639
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly