Find References improvements
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below is an image of 'Find References' in Resharper. Here are a few things I REALLY like about it that would be wonderful in VA's 'Find References'
  • The separation of what you are searching for from references found makes the display much less confusing.
  • For C# at least, the (configurable) ability to display search results organized by meaningful groupings like "namespace/class/method" really makes the results a LOT more meaningful than groupings like "full path to project/full path to file/method".
  • The option to (displayed separately) show textual occurrences can really help to locate comments about usage of a method.
  • This one's a biggee: each new search automatically opens a new tab in the search display instead of replacing the previous find.

Thanks!
Mark.

Edited by - Nobodo on Sep 25 2009 2:41:17 PM

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like these ideas and put in a feature request to see what the developers make of it:

case=32696

About your last idea: are you aware you can clone find references windows by clicking on the last icon?
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  12:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by accord

I like these ideas and put in a feature request to see what the developers make of it:

case=32696

About your last idea: are you aware you can clone find references windows by clicking on the last icon?

Thank you, that is great!

I never found 'clone find references' to be useful. I always use Visual Studio spanned completely across 2 monitors, with 4 separate zones of docked windows. I always use 'find references' as a docked window in one of those zones. When I 'clone find references' it creates a new popup (floating) window that I then have to dock at one of the 4 zones for it to be useful. That makes at least two docked VA find references windows instead of one that has a tab for each search. If you take a look at the image above, the tab that has 'Usages of 'Register(...)' on it is a tab within the Resharper 'Find References' window itself -- if I do a new find, it will create a new tab.

Thanks,
Mark.

Edited by - Nobodo on Oct 02 2009 4:46:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  4:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your idea, and have put in an improvement request for this to see what the developers make of it:

case=33200
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000