1736 to 1738 resets custom colors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  2:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Subject line says it; upgrading from 1736 to 1738 has caused a reset to default of all VA colors. Other custom options seem to remain, though. I was working in 1736 earlier today with no problem; saw there was an upgrade to 1738 so exited VS2005 to install. After install the VA colors were reset.

Thanks,
Mark.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  2:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you mean colours set in VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors ? Or are you looking somewhere else?

I am using a modified VA colour scheme, and my colours were left alone when I upgraded to VA 1738.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  2:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might contribute to the problem:
1736 was the first time I changed any of the VA colors through the Visual Studio 'Options' dialog. Since the VS dialog 'Fonts and Colors' allows changing both the background and foreground colors (and bold), I changed some of the "VA X ..." colors there. I had previously only changed VA colors through the VA dialog.

Then after installing 1738, all custom colors set through VA were reset.

The colors set at the VA options>advanced>fonts and colors were all set through that VA dialog, all were reset. The refactoring colors, brace matching, etc. all were set through the VA dialog, and all were reset.

Edited by - Nobodo on Oct 02 2009 2:44:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  2:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually.... it appears the VA colors set through the Visual Studio dialog only had the portion reset that can be set through the VAX dialog. For example, I changed the foreground and background and set to bold 'VA X Brace Matching' through VS. After upgrading to 1738 only the color settable through VAX was reset (along with all other colors settable through VAX).

Edited by - Nobodo on Oct 02 2009 2:43:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  2:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which OS are you using?
Are you logged in as an administrator?
Do you have more than one user account on this machine that you use?

I want to try and set up a similar test for this, to see if I can reproduce the problem, since this really should not happen.

Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  3:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Win XP SP3, yes on Admin, multiple user accounts on the machine but only one that ever uses VS or VAX.

Next time I upgrade VAX I'll make sure to export the color settings first just in case!

Thanks,
Mark.

p.s. -- the last time a logon by another user account happened was probably 6 months ago, so shouldn't be a factor in this.

Edited by - Nobodo on Oct 02 2009 3:01:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  3:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW - I think the only VA colors I changed through VS were those for brace matching. I set 'VA X Brace Matching' to black foreground, lime background, bold ticked. I also changed the corresponding Visual Studio settings for "Brace Matching (Highlight)" to black foreground, bold, and "Brace Matching (Rectangle)" to background Cyan. There does seem to be interaction between the VA setting and these VS settings, even though one appears to be the braces your cursor is 'inside' while the other is the braces your cursor is 'outside'.

Note - you have to restart VS for some of these color changes.
Thanks,
Mark.

Edited by - Nobodo on Oct 02 2009 3:38:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  3:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have applied these colour settings to VS2005 running on a winXP SP3 system, with VA 1727. I then upgraded to VA 1736 and the colours were still correct. I then upgraded to VA 1738 and the colours are still correct.

So I have no idea what triggered your problem. Being logged in as the administrator there should be no permissions problems with the VA install, and this does not automatically happen when installing VA 1738.

You should not have to export your IDE and VA settings before installing a new version, but it might be a good idea. I could then import your exported settings if you get the same problem with a later version, and see if they are a factor.

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  10:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to confirm... you changed the color settings in VA (I change basically every color option there is in VA away from the defaults) and changed at least one VA setting (foreground, background, bold) in VS.

Hmmm, I tried twice on this machine and got the colors reset each time I do an upgrade. I'll try again (with settings exported) when I have time to see what happens.

Thanks,
Mark.

Edited by - Nobodo on Oct 05 2009 10:55:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

wlater

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  12:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as another data point...

I have seen a similar occurrance when installing previous versions of VA but only to my color setting for "VA X Find Result". I normally set that to a pale orange background but the last few versions of VA X always set it back to yellow background. Since it was the only color affected and easily fixed, I never bothered to mention it here (at least I don't remember mentioning it).

Oddly enough, I was all prepared to have 1738 behave the same way, but it is the first version that did *not* reset the color for "VA X Find Result" on my system. Go figure.

I don't know if this helps any or just confuses things more, but there it is.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  1:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobodo if you can reproduce this with your initial VA and IDE settings exported can you please send them to me, and I can then try the same test here, using your settings?

I thought I made enough changes, based on your description, but maybe I did not.

wlater installing a new VA version is never supposed to change your colour settings, so it would be good to pin down and fix the cause of this problem.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  1:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobodo if you can reproduce this with your initial VA and IDE settings exported can you please send them to me, and I can then try the same test here, using your settings?

I thought I made enough changes, based on your description, but maybe I did not.

wlater installing a new VA version is never supposed to change your colour settings, so it would be good to pin down and fix the cause of this problem.

Go to Top of Page

wlater

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  7:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]wlater installing a new VA version is never supposed to change your colour settings, so it would be good to pin down and fix the cause of this problem.
I fully agree. If I was seeing the same larger effect that Nobodo is, I would have mentioned it a few versions back. My coloring problem just wasn't irritating enough to ever pop it to the top of my todo list.

Edited by - wlater on Oct 05 2009 7:44:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will test this soon (might not be until the next release is available for download). If the problem shows up, I'll send the exported settings. If the problem doesn't show up, I'll report that here.

Thanks,
Mark.

Edited by - Nobodo on Oct 06 2009 11:56:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  4:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look forward to hearing the results of these tests. It would be good to pin down the problem here.

Go to Top of Page

wlater

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  4:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, looks like I did mention my similar problem before (see http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8735) and it was indeed fixed. My memory isn't what it used to be. I'll stop intruding on this thread.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000