Technical Support
 License problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tml

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  04:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We currently have 10 licenses for VAssistX and (unfortunately for us, fortunately for you) more than 10 developers who want to use it. The acquisition of more licenses is under way. In a meanwhile I've noticed the following problem:

When I start up Visual Studio 2008 in the morning I get a license and can use VAssistX. When later I fire up another instance of Visual Studio, I get a message that there are no licenses left and VAssistX is disabled for that IDE.

On your license statement you say that "Multiple instances of an IDE on one PC count as one user". Apparently VAssistX doesn't detect that one of the licenses is already in use on this workstation?

Unfortunately I cannot use Wireshark to debug this further since it refuses to install on 64bit Windows7.

VAssistX is version 10.5.1738.0.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This normally happens when 11 machines are running VA, but machine number 11 was not connected to the network when VA was loaded, perhaps on a laptop.

The licence check is done when you load the IDE, so the first instance of the IDE loads correctly, but due to the extra machine appearing on the network the second instance of the IDE does not load, since it sees 11+ machines (current machine included) running VA.

Hopefully this makes sense.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tml

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  05:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes sense, but I don't think this is the reason for our problem. We don't use laptops for development.

I installed Wireshark on my old workstation and ran the test described elsewhere on this forum. Noticed that there were 13 workstations that were broadcasting that they were using the VAssistX. That's strange since we only have 10 licenses. All workstations were normal desktops, connected to domain using DHCP.

One of the workstations was my new machine, on which I had Visual Studio open but hadn't got a license to run the VAssistX.

Is it so that even if I cannot use VAssistX because there aren't any licenses left, my Visual Studio broadcasts to other workstations that it is using the VAssistX? This creates the problem I reported earlier. Also, if I happen to get a license and later need to restart my Visual Studio for some reason, no one will get that license until there are less than 10 Visual Studios open.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  12:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is VA installed on the machine with no VA license?

The wireshark method is not perfect, but it is normally good enough. The license check is a black box to us, but it is a very reliable black box. If you have two different VA licences on the same network they should coexist quite happily. I have never tried to work out how to tell from wireshark which machine is broadcasting / responding to which VA license key.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000