Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Devo

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  06:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

When including a header in a C++ solution, when typing
#include "
what usually happens is I get a pop up list of all the headers I might want to include. I can then start typing the path on a folder by folder basis, and the pop up list will refresh as I enter new folders.

Sometimes, after typing the first folder (or selecting it from the pop up list), the pop up list will vanish and refuse to come back. The only way to resolve this issue is to delete that entire line of code and start again.

I'm running version 1738 on Visual Studio 2008 at the moment, but the same issue also appears in 1649 (and in Visual Studio 2005). The project I'm working with is huge with multiple folders & include paths - I don't seem to get the same problem when working with simpler projects.

MOR
1) Type #include "
2) The second quote should be put in by auto complete and a pop up list should appear of all available files
3) Type the first few characters of a folder name
4) The auto complete list should show the folder of interest. When it does, press enter
5) Notice that the folder name and / character is filled in and that the pop up box vanishes

Frequency: Around about 1 or 2 in 100
Seems to happen several times in a row and then stop happening all together.

System Info

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1738.0 built 2009.10.01
Licensed to:
VA X: <Removed>
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.1
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors (x86)

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2009)\\Include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;

Additional Plugins
Xbox 360 Extensions for Visual Studio
Incredibuild 3.41
ProDG VSI 1.8.5

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  3:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it depend on the directories or files you use or it doesn't seem to be any pattern when it happens? Does it tend to happen when you are working with deeper directories, or is it sometimes drop the listbox after the first directory?

Visual Assist closes the listbox when you type the full name of the directory or file and there aren't any more file or dir with this string in them, but it will open the listbox again when you type / or \\. This way VA will close the listbox after you type the full header name.

Do you use any other Visual Studio plug-ins?

When it start happening you can try enable logging and send the log files to us:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

I hope you can do it because you mentioned that "Seems to happen several times in a row and then stop happening all together."
So maybe it will happen again with logging enabled.

quote:

The only way to resolve this issue is to delete that entire line of code and start again.

Alternatively you can press ctrl+space as a workaround to make the listbox appear again.

Are you aware of add include refactoring? It can add the include line automatically. It does not solve the problem, I just mentioned
Go to Top of Page

Devo

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  04:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't noticed a pattern to the bug - only that there must be at least one directory involved and that it normally happens after the first directory is entered. Once it's happened, you can type the full path to the header of interest (including several folders) and it will never display the auto complete pop up again. Most of our includes require three or four folders, so there may be an element of depth involved in this issue.

I do not knowingly use any other Visual Studio plug-ins than the ones listed at the bottom of my previous post.

It just so happens that last time this issue happened, I turned on logging and reproduced the bug. I've send the logs in a support request as directed.

The only other thing I can think could be helpful is that I use the VA View window to find out which header I need to add after getting a compile error due to an unresolved symbol (i.e. a missing header).

Let me know if there is anything further I can do to help with this issue.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  03:55:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now it is being discussed by email
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: