New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maxim2000
Ketchup Master

68 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  09:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
some kind of suggestions is very hard to use in VC6. I mean unfocused suggestion lists. VA very often gives me a correct variant but I can't choose it, because <Tab> doesn't work as needed. <Tab> just inserts a tab-symbol, but it doesn't choose the suggested item from the unfocused suggestion list. Some times but very rarely <Tab> does work and I can choose an item. Have you any ideas what may be wrong?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  1:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a registry key you can use to tell VA to always put focus into a suggestion list, which is described here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W350

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

maxim2000
Ketchup Master

68 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  09:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't find neither ListboxSelectionStyle nor SuggestionSelect item. I've added the following, but it didn't help
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VA6]
"ListboxSelectionStyle"=hex:02
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  4:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which version of VA are you using?

The registry value needs to be of type Binary, not Hex.

Go to Top of Page

maxim2000
Ketchup Master

68 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  03:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VA1738+VC6SP6+WinXPSP2.
The item type is binary and its value is 2 in hex view.
Could you please export the branch [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VA6] to a reg file and show the value and format of ListboxSelectionStyle item?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  5:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The type column in regedit should show "REG_BINARY" and when you edit the value you should see a dialog with the title "Edit Binary Value" where you need to set the value to "02"

This is a screen shot showing what I am seeing:

I have just double checked this here, and it is working as expected for me in VC6, VA 1738 running under winXP.

Have you made sure that all instances of VC6 were closed, and there are no hung msdev.exe processes running in the background before editing the registry?

Obviously something is going wrong here, but I am not sure what or why.

Go to Top of Page

maxim2000
Ketchup Master

68 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  05:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see the same picture after VC6 started. If no ideas it's OK, it's not needed to dig very deep.

By the way, may be you find using .reg files more convenient on your FAQ pages. They may be shorter and easy-to-use, just one mouse click to import a file.
Go to Top of Page

Mirek

8 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  08:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem as Maxim: all suggestion lists are unfocused in my VC6 => using suggestions is very uncomfortable. I'm using VA1724+VC6SP6+Windows7/64bit - see my system info attached below. I didn't find neither ListboxSelectionStyle nor SuggestionSelect item in the registry and adding the "ListboxSelectionStyle"=02 binary value to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VA6] did not help. The same version of VA works fine on my second computer with the same VC6 but on WinXP/SP3/32bit. I will try to find some differences between these two configurations to solve the problem myself but any help is welcome. Thanks, M.

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1724.0 built 2009.05.01
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2009.06.05
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.1
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Courier -13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.7600.16385
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7600
8 processors (x86-64; WOW64)

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Stable Includes:
D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\INCLUDE;
D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\MSDEV\\INCLUDE;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\SRC;
D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
D:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\CRT\\SRC;
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am starting to wonder if something else is causing these problems. The registry key is easy to set and use, and it works correctly for me in my test case.

I used the same test case as the one in the FAQ, into a cpp file, in a C++ function, I added the code:

static void testSimpleListboxFocus()
{
    int m_nWidth;
    int m_nHeight;
    int m_|
}

as I started typing the 3rd variable name the listbox either had focus or had no focus, and this was correctly controlled by the registry key.

Can you both please try the same test on your systems and see what happens? If this registry key is the wrong fix, then it is never going to work.

Go to Top of Page

maxim2000
Ketchup Master

68 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  2:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This example does not cause any problems and VA works fine depending on the registry key.
But I see tooltip with text "...[Down arrow to select]". Do you see the same? Try to get a tooltip with text "...[Accept with: <TAB>]".

Here a little example that produces this tooltip.
void TestFunc(int TestVar)
{
	int AnotherTestVar = |
}
After the last space I see the unfocused list with framed item "TestVar". Tooltip tells [Accept with: <TAB>]", but <TAB> fails. It occurs at any time and doesn't depend on registry key value.
Go to Top of Page

Mirek

8 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  04:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My case is different: no popup windows with suggestions have focus, regardless the ListboxSelectionStyle value. I uninstalled VA and reinstalled again but the problem persists.
IG??m afraid that this issue is linked with Win7-64 - I use the same software (VC6, VA, G?) on WinXP-32 where everything works fine. There are also other known issues with VC6 on Win7-64 (see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsdebug/thread/c13b0e3e-833c-48a1-9526-eed3cfd4c120, etc.). IG??m going to install VS2008 on that machine this week, so I will see if the same problem is also in VS2008 or not. Anyway, I will have to use the old VC6 for a project on the Win7-64 PC and therefore inoperable VA suggestions are not very pleasantG?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  3:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maxim2000 this is what I am seeing with VC6, VA 1814 under winXP SP3

How close is this to what you are seeing?

When I press Tab, with this suggestion listbox looking like this, it is accepted correctly, just as the tooltip says it will be.

Edited by - feline on Mar 23 2010 3:22:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  3:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mirek I am concerned about no suggestions having focus.

Testing VC6, Vista 64bit and VA 1738 I started typing the word "static" on a blank line in a cpp file. This is what I am seeing. Note the listbox has focus, and shows the expected tooltip. Also when I hover the mouse over the tooltip I get the "A" icon, which shows that this is a VA suggestion listbox.

I know I am using a different OS, but Vista 64bit should be relatively close to win7 64bit for the purpose of this test, and I don't currently have a win7 64bit test system up and running.

Go to Top of Page

Mirek

8 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I start typing "s...", I see this:

The suggestion list does not have focus, all keyboard input goes to the background widow (VC6 text editor). The only way to copy a suggested item to the source code is to double click it by mouse. My current VA version is 10.5.1715.0, built 2009.01.25 (yesterday, after uninstallation of version 1724, I decided to install an older version).

Go to Top of Page

maxim2000
Ketchup Master

68 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  07:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
feline I see exactly the same picture. Fortunately I've already fixed the problem. To make the suggestion list working I have to enable <TAB> in the options dialog ("Selection committed with"). May be this is my fault, may be not. But I'm happy with this fix.
I hope that my fix will also help Mirek.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  10:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@maxim2000: thanks for helping sort that out. The tooltip shouldn't have 'accept with tab' if commit with tab is disabled. case=41491
Go to Top of Page

Mirek

8 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  06:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still do not know where the problem is. My G?Selection committed withG? options are:

but neither G?TabG? nor G?EnterG? work. Note that there is no G?Accept withG? message in the tooltip. IG??m going to install VS2008 on that computer during the weekend, IG??ll let you know the result.

Edited by - Mirek on Mar 25 2010 06:24:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  4:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mirek so far we are unable to reproduce this problem internally.

If you single click on the listbox with the mouse, and then use the up and down arrow keys what happens? Does the current item in the listbox change, or does the caret move in the code file?

Are you connecting over remote desktop, or anything like that?
Are you logged in as an administrator?
Is the IDE being run as administrator or some other user?

Are there any programs running that might interfere with how windows are drawn, etc? Something is triggering this problem, but I am not sure what.

Go to Top of Page

Mirek

8 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feline,

I installed VS2008 on that computer and VA suggestion listboxes work correctly there. However, the problem remains in VC6. I can change selected items in the suggestion listbox by mouse but the focus remains in the text editor, i.e. if I single click on the listbox with the mouse, and then use the up and down arrow keys, the caret moves in the code file.

I run the IDE G?Pas administratorG?, which is required to start debugging correctly. I also tried to run the IDE normally (using my account that belongs to the administrators group) but this had no effect on the problem. I do not use the remote desktop.

This problem is a mysteryG? I have been using VA for years and never had a problem like this.

Edited by - Mirek on Mar 30 2010 07:11:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  1:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you always had this problem since installing VC6 on this system? Or did it start after a while?

Have you tried rebooting the computer since first seeing this problem? I assume you have, but it is worth asking on the off chance.

Can you please make sure all instances of VC6 are closed, then run regedit, and delete this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VA6\
along with everything under it. This WILL remove all of your VA settings for VC6, so you might want to back up this key before deleting it. When you next run VC6, VA will recreate this key using the standard default values.

This means that we can ignore any problems with custom registry key settings for VA in VC6.

This should not be an OS specific problem, which suggests there is something about your machine or configuration that is a factor, but what?

If you go into the VA options dialog and turn off all VA options manually, does this problem go away?

Does the VA option:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

have any effect here?

Go to Top of Page

Mirek

8 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  04:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you always had this problem since installing VC6 on this system? Or did it start after a while?
The problem was there from the very beginning

Have you tried rebooting the computer since first seeing this problem? I assume you have, but it is worth asking on the off chance.
Yes, the computer was rebooted many times

Can you please make sure all instances of VC6 are closed, then run regedit, and delete this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VA6\\ along with everything under it. This WILL remove all of your VA settings for VC6, so you might want to back up this key before deleting it. When you next run VC6, VA will recreate this key using the standard default values.
I reinstalled VA on that computer three times. I deleted the G?PHKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole TomatoG? key before the second installation. Unfortunately, it did not help. I also reinstalled VC6 G?? no effect.

This means that we can ignore any problems with custom registry key settings for VA in VC6.

This should not be an OS specific problem, which suggests there is something about your machine or configuration that is a factor, but what?
Did you test VA on the same system (Windows7, 64-bit)?

If you go into the VA options dialog and turn off all VA options manually, does this problem go away?
No, it had no effect

Does the VA option:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense have any effect here?
This option changed behavior of the suggestion list a little bit (different content of listboxes) but the problem with wrong focus was still there.

I was going to run Spy++ to get more information about the VA listbox window properties (such as window style, etc.) and I wanted to compare these parameters with the same window on my second computer where VA works fine (WinXP). Unfortunately, this was impossible because the VA listbox window disappeared immediately when I switched to Spy++. Therefore I was not able to select VA suggestions window in Spy++, so I have no interesting information for you.

IG??m coming to terms with the situation. Let me know if you have any new idea.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  1:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which version of VA are you currently using?

I have gone back and checked my email, and the test someone else ran was definitely VC6 under Windows 7 64bit, but they do not give the version of VA they tested.

I have just sent the last day setting up a win7 64bit test system, and I am seeing the same problem with VA 1724. The good news is that I am not seeing any sign of the problem with VA 1814:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

Can you please try this version and see if it fixes the problem for you.

Go to Top of Page

Mirek

8 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  3:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using version 1724. I installed version 1814 but my subscription ended in June 2009 and therefore I'm not able to test this new version (there is a message box asking me to enter an activation key). I would buy a new subscription if I'm sure that version 1814 fixes my problem. Let me know how I can test that.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  2:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please contact me via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. I will then get someone to email you a trial key for VA, so you can try the latest version on your system.

Go to Top of Page

Mirek

8 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  12:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, installation of version 1814 has fixed the problem. I'll upgrade to this version. Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  9:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=41491 is fixed in build 1819

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: