New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmihalicza
Ketchup Master

Hungary
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  09:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I often have the same project opened of different development branches, and on the task bar I only see the name of the project.
I tried general window renamer tools, but VS sets the title on setfocus.

There is a macro workaround, but I don't feel it a clear solution and they talk about hangups at exit so I am not convinced:
http://www.helixoft.com/blog/archives/32

It would be nice to have a nicer solution, possibly through VA, to say a setting where I could give a text pattern for the title, containing variables like $solution_name, $current_fname etc.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  1:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure what to say here. Given your situation I can see the appeal, but solution name on its own is unlikely to be helpful enough. I would assume you have the same solution name in different development branches.

Have you tried the macro? From the comments it is relatively stable.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jmihalicza
Ketchup Master

Hungary
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  1:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried the macro because of this in the last post:
"Unfortunately I have been unable to completely fix the hang on shutdown problem"

Indeed, solution name is the same, but had such a feature I would set "Branch A $solution_name" and "Branch B $solution_name".
My VS sessions are running even for weeks, so setting this once is not a problem, but helps quite a lot.
(Well, that means the hangup problem wouldn't be that big a harm for me actually .)
Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  10:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I do when testing different versions of our product in multiple virtual machines is to create an arbitrary menu item via right click | customize | drag a benign command to the menu (I use the VA options dialog command as it has no side effects.) Then I set the text of the menu item to the version number of the software.

This gives me a consistent, easily seen indicator of the current build I'm testing. While this is not a dynamic solution to your problem, the menu text is easily changed (right click | customize | right click again | set text). I bet there's even a way to set the text through a DTE macro if you can get the ID of the new menu item. Then you'd assign that macro itself to the menu item, so to change its text, just click it!

Hope that helps...

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000