VA used to unexpectedly get disabled
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fsgs

16 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  05:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm using VA for a long time and I've experienced this problem on different computers and under different OS-es. When I'm in the middle of writing new code, VA used to suddenly get disabled. Such features as VA Outline or completion list become inaccessible and some highlight disappears. But only some of highlight, not all! And VA thinks it is turned on.

Turning VA off and on doesn't affect situation. Relaunching IDE brings VA features back to life, but still some text is not highlighted. Reparsing of file after IDE relaunching may restore highlight, but didn't work all the time. The only reliable method working all the time is rebuilding of VA database. But it takes much time and it is real headache to run it several times per day.

The problem appears when I change the code. Now all works and the second after - highlight disappears and completion is disabled. I know it sounds pretty weird, but it is real problem for me. And I cannot google it because of its weirdness!

For now I'm using Win 7 x64, MSVS '05 SP 1, VA 10.5.1738.0

Hope you guys will help...

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which programming language are you working in?

Next time this happens can you try closing the problem solution and then opening or making a new, default project in the same programming language as you are working in. Does VA work in this solution?

It sounds like VA is seeing something in your source code that is breaking our parser.

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

fsgs

16 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  09:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, haven't experienced this bug over some time.

I'm working in native C++.

I've tried to close current solution and create new default one - all worked fine in new solution. But when I reopened current, highlighting was still broken.

This is the sreenshot from the project at the time of VA got disabled:

This is the sreenshot after restart:

Here is the content of VA info:

------------------------------------------------------------------
VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1738.0 built 2009.10.01
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.867
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.867
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7600.16385
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7600
2 processors (x86-64;
WOW64)

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it well help. And i'm going to rebuild database :-/
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  11:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does rebuilding VA's symbol database help?

Is this screen shot showing a cpp or .h file? Some of the "m_" variables are underlined as mistyped. I am assuming these are class member variables. So I am wondering if VA correctly understands the class in the header file.

It looks like VA is encountering something, perhaps a complex macro, or some mismatched brackets, that is confusing our parser. The trick is to try and narrow down what is triggering the problem, so we can try to fix it.

Go to Top of Page

fsgs

16 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Does rebuilding VA's symbol database help?

Yes, completely.
quote:
Is this screen shot showing a cpp or .h file? Some of the "m_" variables are underlined as mistyped. I am assuming these are class member variables. So I am wondering if VA correctly understands the class in the header file.

This is a .cpp file. These really are the class member variables. VA doesn't correctly understand header file. Moreover, there are two situations I've met:
1) Class header defined in .h file (something like "class CSomeClass : public CBaseClass { public: CSomeClass() {} ...") is highlighted right, but some types used in class definition are highlighted wrong. In this case .h file containing declaration of these types is also understood wrong by VA. I can trace such classes back to the .h files correctly understood, and then reparse it and all files to the first. In some cases this trick brings VA back to life.
2) Class header itself is highlighted wrong. In this case I cannot trace back any files and reparsing of current .h file doesn't affect VA.
quote:
It looks like VA is encountering something, perhaps a complex macro, or some mismatched brackets, that is confusing our parser. The trick is to try and narrow down what is triggering the problem, so we can try to fix it.

While tracing back with described process the first .h files generating errors seemed to be very simple to parse. No special constructions or special macroses.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Approximately how often does this problem show up? Several times a day, once a week, once a year?

Next time this happens, can you please try adding the following test code to the top of one of the .h files that has the problem:

static void felineTestVAUnderstanding()
{
    int nFelineLocalVarOne;
    nFelineLocalVarOne = 2;
}

and see if VA colours it and understands it correctly. If this function is coloured correctly, with no underlining, can you try moving it down the file, to see where in the file the problem shows up? This should help to narrow down the cause. We then just have to try and understand the cause.

Go to Top of Page

fsgs

16 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  04:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This problem shows up approximately once per several days.

Just received it and tried to insert given snippet. Seems like VA doesn't recognize it even at the top of the first .h file (the .h file corresponding to .cpp file in which I've first encountered problem). Here is a screenshot for you.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  11:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very strange. I assume the file path in the definition field is correct for this file?

This path does not clash with your stable include directories.

Is there anything strange or odd about O drive?
Is this a network drive? A mapped drive?

While the problem is happening, if you open this problem file on its own what happens?
What if you copy the file to your C drive and then open it on its own, what happens?

Go to Top of Page

fsgs

16 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  04:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

This is very strange. I assume the file path in the definition field is correct for this file?

Yes, this is where it is located.

quote:
This path does not clash with your stable include directories.

Is there anything strange or odd about O drive?
Is this a network drive? A mapped drive?

This is a TrueCrypt'ed drive. Fixed size, FAT32 file system. But we're using TrueCrypt for several years by whole team and have never received any problems related to it. It acts just like ordinal disk and all encryption is done on-the-fly. No one even know it is done.

quote:
While the problem is happening, if you open this problem file on its own what happens?

All works fine. All files are fully accessible.

quote:
What if you copy the file to your C drive and then open it on its own, what happens?

I'll check this issue on the next time problem shows up.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this was a "simple" problem with a TrueCrypt drive then I would expect you to always see a problem. Even if it was a problem with how fast VA could open and parse the source code, reparsing the current file should fix the problem. So it is not obvious to me how TrueCrypt would cause these problems.

But something is going wrong, and it is something that is different about your system.

So it will be interesting to see what happens with the file copied to C drive.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000