Technical Support
 VC++ 2010 Express
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

[email protected]

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  08:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that in VC++ 2010 the extension manager is available. Will a future versione of VAX work with the 2010 express edition?

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  10:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The express edition supposedly doesn't support extensions. Have you been able to install any of the free 2010 extensions from the online gallery ( http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us )?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  11:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clarification: There are three categories of extensions that VS2010 supports: Templates, Controls and Tools. It is our understanding that VS2010 Express supports Templates and Controls but does not support Tools.
Go to Top of Page

[email protected]

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  07:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the answer :)

quote:
Originally posted by sean

Clarification: There are three categories of extensions that VS2010 supports: Templates, Controls and Tools. It is our understanding that VS2010 Express supports Templates and Controls but does not support Tools.

Go to Top of Page

emepar

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  6:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just tested one of the extensions that was present in Microsoft repository from [tools] branch. I was able to install it and use it, which means that it might be possible to use VA X with Express edition.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  4:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
emepar which tools extension did you install?

I have now installed C++ Express 2010, and there is only one extension under Tools listed in the IDE's Extension Manager dialog, "Silverlight RIA Tools", which is described as "a simple code generation toolkit", this does not sound like something that tries to extend the editor.

For comparison in VS2010 Professional, the Extension Manager dialog is listing at least 5 pages of extensions under tools.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

emepar

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  5:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that is the one which I tried.
I didn't wrote any extensions for Visual Studio so thats why I used "might be possible".
Anyway I am using VA X in work and it would be grate to be able to install it on my home machine on Express version.
If that could be done I would spend those 250$ without blinking an eye :]
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  11:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This FAQ references the official description from Microsoft of what is and is not supported, by design, in the Express versions of VS2005 and VS2008:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W291

So far I have not been able to find the equivalent page for VS2010 Express edition, but it makes sense that Microsoft are not letting addin's like Visual Assist X work in the Express editions, since they want to encourage professional programmers to use the more powerful versions of the IDE.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000