"Open file in solution" does not notice new files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scottbilas
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  01:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I add a new class to my project (C# class into a csproj) then VAssist does not notice it. In other words, if I go to the Open File in Solution dialog, the new file does not appear there, even after I let it sit for a while to do any background parsing. This is odd, because the Find Symbol dialog stays up to date with whatever symbols are in those new files as I edit them.

The workaround is to close the solution and reopen it. From then on, VAssist finds the files.

Note that Visual Studio's ctrl-, dialog finds the new files just fine.

This is in VS2010 with VAssist #1822, but it has been a problem with VAssist for many versions. I just never got around to reporting it until now. :)

scottbilas
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  01:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoop! It did find them eventually. I just didn't wait quite long enough for VAssist to notice the new files.

Can this delay be reduced? I had added the files and it had been at least a few minutes that they did not appear in the Open File in Solution dialog.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  5:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a vs2010 multiple project test solution (889 files total), I right-clicked on a project in the solution explorer and selected Add | Class. I typed in the name of a new class. The file opened immediately. I opened OFIS and the new file was listed there. So this doesn't seem to be a generic problem.

How are you adding the new class?

On the Performance page of the VA Options dialog, what are the states of the checkboxes for:
Watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary.
Parse all files when opening a project.

Maybe capturing a log might indicate to us what the problem is:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
Go to Top of Page

scottbilas
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  12:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had added the class via Add | Class, same as you did. My options are set FALSE for "watch for externally modified files" and TRUE for "parse all files".

I've been trying to repro this and it hasn't happened. Will post back if it happens again and I get more info on it.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  12:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The values for those options are the same as I have.

Maybe the problem here might be related to the other "Open file in solution" problem you reported experiencing in http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9514?

Is this the same solution? Is it located on a network drive? (Not that it should matter, just grasping at straws.)
Go to Top of Page

scottbilas
Ketchup Master

72 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  12:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All files are local. That other problem I reported happened on my workstation, whereas this one was on my laptop. It's the same solution, though. Is there any way that source control could interfere? On my laptop when this occurred, I was offline and so the SCC stuff was all running in the "temporary offline" mode. Given that it eventually noticed the new file, I wonder if there was some kind of timeout that had to occur going on..
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  1:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Timeout of some sort does sound plausible. The IDE fires a notification event when files are added to the solution. Maybe the event didn't fire until scc switched to offline mode - so though a file was created, it took awhile for it to be added to the solution.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000