VA View "Symbols in Solution" dropdown
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mattwaddell

8 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  4:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey,

After I load a solution, I can't seem to get the "[Symbols in Solution]" dropdown to display anything other than the symbols defined in stdint.h. The "Parse all files when opening a project" option (in VAssistX -> ... Options ... -> Performance) is enabled. I've also tried rebuilding the symbol database. From what I can tell, both intellisense and VA appear to be busy parsing away after I open a solution, but the dropdown content never contains more than stdint.h... It's odd too, because the context menus in the editor appear to be working fine.

Can anyone think of something else I might be able to try?

Thanks,
_matt

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  04:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happens if you open the open files in solution dialog? (alt+shift+o) Do you see the files that are in the project?
Do you get the symbols correctly if you use the find symbol dialog? (alt+shift+s)
Is your VA X: Parsing ... disappears from your status bar after a while?
Can you please press

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and then paste the result (from the clipboard) here? This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Is this a new problem for you or is this the first project where it is happening?

Edited by - accord on May 07 2010 04:06:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

mattwaddell

8 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  1:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
* The "Open files in solution" dialog looks to contain all of the files in my solution.
* I haven't attempted to use the "Symbols in Solution" feature until the other day, but it seems to behave this way for all working copies of my solution.
* The "Find Symbol" dialog (alt+shift+s) will only show the contents of stdint.h if the "Show only symbols defined in current solution" is checked (this is the case for all working copies of my solution). When this is unchecked, I do see relevant symbols, but they (usually) link to files located in different working copies the source tree. (Oddly, if I open up the solution in these other working copies, the "Find Symbol" dialog still wont show all of the symbols unless I uncheck the check box)
* Yes, the "VA X: Parsing..." message does disappear from the status bar after a while.

-------------
VA_X.dll file version 10.6.1822.0 built 2010.04.22
Licensed to:
VA X: <omitted> (6-user license) Support ends 2011.03.12
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.1
Font: Consolas 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.5512
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 3
2 processors (x86)

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\\Include;
C:\\path\\to\\solution-directory;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  4:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please do 2 experiment to see what you get?

1. Try rebuild your symbol databases to see if this helps:

Press
VA Options -> Performance -> Clear history, cache and temporary files
and
VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases
buttons.

2. Can you please create a new win32 project to see if find symbol dialog works here? (with Show only symbols defined in current solution)

Something odd is going on here, I'm wondering what can it be.
Out of interest, by working copies do you mean different versions of the same solution? (i.e. trunk, branch, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

mattwaddell

8 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  4:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions.

Clearing the cache and rebuilding the symbol database didn't seem to help. I also tried creating a new project, and adding some functions to it, but those symbols did not show up in the dialog either (not even stdint.h). I sure must have done something egregious to my environment...

Yes, by "working copy" I mean different versions (branches) of the same solution.
Go to Top of Page

mattwaddell

8 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  9:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: If I compile certain files, occasionally symbols will be added to the symbol list, although the symbols that are added (interestingly) are not those that are actually defined in the file being compiled.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  03:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can reproduce this in a clean new project than maybe your settings are causing this. Can you please export and send your Visual Assist and Visual Studio settings?

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

so I can import them here to see if I can reproduce your problem here.
Please use the form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

to send the files and include the URL of this thread in the description field so we can match it up.

Just in case these won't help, can you please
1. trigger a symbol rebuild
2. close VS
3. set this registry setting to 1: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Logging
4. open VS
5. open your clean test project (or create a new one)
6. when VA finished parsing open the find symbol dialog
7. close VS
8. The location of the log files is described here: http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
(We use the registry setting instead of the logging option in VA options dialog because exiting VS after triggering the rebuild would clear this setting)
9. send us the files VIA the same form.
These may help us to diagnose the problem.
Go to Top of Page

mattwaddell

8 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  12:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help. I sent those files to support.

Case number: 44411

_matt

Edited by - mattwaddell on May 18 2010 12:40:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  2:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got the files and are looking into this, thank you.
Go to Top of Page

mattwaddell

8 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  5:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My visual studio configuration had "$(SolutionDir)" listed along with the system include directories. Removing that and re-building the symbol database seemed to clear everything up.

-----
"Thanks for sending the logs. I note that the system include directories have been modified to point into the directories of your test solution. How is that happening? Do you manually modify the system include directories when you open a solution or does something do this automatically when you load a solution? In any case, this is most likely the source of the problems you are experiencing with VA. If having the solution directories be listed in your system include list is required, then you can point VA to an independent list via the Projects | C/C++ Directories page of the VA Options dialog. Change the Platform to Custom (from Win32) and then list only the standard included directories (removing solution directories from the list)."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000