Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 problems parsing code (lose functionality)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foo64

8 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  7:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Version 10.6.1823.0 built 2010.05.06

C++

I'm seeing some cases where Visual Assist fails to parse C++ code properly, which results in lots of underlined code and lack of auto-complete. You basically lose a lot of the benefits of VA. The code compiles fine.

It's not feasible for me to post code (it's work-related, and would be thousands of lines anyway), but if there was a list of known VA parsing problems, I could look into each one if it applies to me. In the past I recall it didn't support overloaded operators in templates very well, but I'm not using any here. Is there any kind of logging I could enable to track this down?

I'm actually seeing 2 types of parsing problems. The first is where VA fails to parse a class definition, so you get no auto-complete related to that class anywhere in your code. Let's call that a universal failure. The other type is you'll be working in a cpp file and get little to no auto-completes for anything, however using that class from another file is fine. Let's call that a local failure.

I have a hunch that it's related to forward declarations, because hitting "goto" on the "universal failure" class gives me a choice of 4 forward declarations, but not the actual class definition.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  1:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you use (somewhat) complex macros? Macros that generate members, etc.

These types of problems (you had mentioned) are often caused by macros that VA unable to parse.
In case you are facing with something like this, you can make VA to skip these macros or you can provide simplified versions of them:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W302

Or you can try turning on recursive parsing:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W363

which is off by default.

I can help to build simplified macros if needed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000