10.6.1823.0 eats all memory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pettern

Norway
9 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  07:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10.6.1823.0 eats all memory if the project is changed by an external script and reloaded with VS 2005. Memory use will immediately start climbing with 100% CPU use and eventually you will run out of memory.

Steps to reproduce:

- Use VS 2005
- Make a script that changes the .vsproj file so VS asks you to reload it
- Reload it
- Watch the memory and CPU use

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  09:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you send me a sample script that modifies the vsproj file? I am not sure where I would start trying to write a script that changed the vcproj file, and I am not sure what sort of changes you might make.

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Approximately how many changes via a script does it take before the IDE will run out of memory? 1? 3,000?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

pettern

Norway
9 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  09:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid our project update script is too tailored for us to be of use for you. But typically, just adding a single file to a project configuration is enough, so it should be possible to just add a single file to all configurations to trigger it. I think it might be easier to use a moderate sized project, create a new project file with an additional file and copy that over the previous project that is loaded in VS.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  6:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a stab in the dark, but you might try deleting your ncb file. We can reproduce a CPU spike and memory consumption without VA installed as it is "Updating Intellisense".
Go to Top of Page

pettern

Norway
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  04:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have around 5 different projects (or git checkouts if you will), all showing this behavior. I've disabled Intellisense in VS2005 by renaming the intellisense dll so I don't think that's the issue.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  2:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How quickly does the problem show up? How many times do you have to modify the solution before the IDE memory usage gets to high?

I have just tried a simplified test of this. I have set up a simple test project, and then added 7 new files, one by one. After adding each new file, I closed the IDE and made a copy of the .vcproj file.

I then moved back to the origional .vcproj file, opened the IDE, and then copied across each of the following .vcproj file in order. I reloaded the modified solution on each occasion, and checked the memory usage of the IDE.

I am seeing a general increase in the IDE's memory usage, but on a couple of occasions the IDE's memory usage went down. None of the memory changes were very large.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  2:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also been playing with this a little, first adding one file, then a few files, and finally adding several files but did not see any problem.
My additional questions:
- Is that script modifies only the vcproj, or generates / modify source files as well?
- Does this always happen?
- Are you storing the files and the vcproj in an "ordinary" HDD / SSD drive, or are you using virtual drive, network drive or anything like this?

Edited by - accord on Jun 03 2010 2:56:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

pettern

Norway
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  04:28:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- It starts happening immediately after the new project file has been loaded. After 20 seconds, the memory usage has gone past 600MB and steadily rises.
- You only need to modify it once (adding a single file to a solution file that is around 850k large). The size of the file and the number of files is likely a contributing factor to this.
- The script modifies only the vcproj based on meta files that contains what files are supposed to be in the solution.
- Yes, it happens always but it started happening just in the last few months, so with one of the later version of VA.
- The files are stored on a normal HDD, no SSD is involved.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  4:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried with a large file over 800k but still don't see any problem.

One thing that might help is to create a log file:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

and to send us to see if we can find any clue. You can send the logs via this form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please paste the URL of this topic to the description field so we can match it up.

How many files does the project file contain?
Is this large file generated? Does it contain something unusual? (i.e. lots of MACROs, or whatever)
Go to Top of Page

pettern

Norway
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  9:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generated and sent logs - unfortunately i gave the wrong thread id, but hopefully they will ask for clarifications. Since then I've switched to a newer machine which doesn't show this problem, but I suppose it's still useful to figure out.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  04:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've got the logs, thank you.
Go to Top of Page

pettern

Norway
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  9:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy to say VA was not causing this and sad that I wasted everybody's time. The real reason seems to be that a couple of years back I renamed <VS root path>\\VC\\vcpackages\\feacp.dll to avoid 2005s abyssal intellisense to be used, and in recent months that has somehow triggered this behavior. Renaming it back and thereby enabling the regular intellisense fixed it. :-|

Anyway, still a satisfied VA user and has been for 8+ years.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  10:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you happen to upgrade to Win7 around the time this started happening?
Go to Top of Page

pettern

Norway
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  04:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page