Feature Requests
 Projects in Open File in Solution Dialog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

invino4

35 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  4:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a very large solution with dozens of projects. I often find that I want to quickly navigate the solution explorer to a particular project so that I can examine one or more of its files without actually knowing the name of the file. I find myself unconsciously pulling up the Open File in Solution dialog and trying to type in the ProjectName as if the ProjectName.csproj was in the list, but it isn't. Could it be? If you select it then instead of opening the source file it would select that project in the Solution Explorer and scroll it into view, preferable to the top of the Solution Explorer so that you can then easily see its list of files.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  1:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about to be able to filter by project name? This way you would still see the files for the project in the Open File in Solution dialog.
Go to Top of Page

invino4

35 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  2:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question is speed I think. If filtering meant that I had to go to some drop down from the default text box that I type into when the Open File in Solution Dialog opens then it wouldn't be worth it. The instant that you have to use the mouse or arrow keys then I'm probably better off just guessing at a file name. This is one of the reasons I think that the VA ListMethodsInCurrentFile feature is more efficient then the built-in WizardBar. By just typing a name you can cut across several classes to find members where the WizardBar requires you to use two separate dropdowns.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  2:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My point was to not involve the solution view. So you would like it if the filtering searched through the project name besides the names and paths?
Go to Top of Page

invino4

35 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  3:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I see what you mean. :) Yeah, that would almost work. It would allow you to select a file in the project and if you have the 'scroll to' feature turned on the Solution Explorer then it would scroll there.

It still wouldn't let you jump directly to the project file itself in the Solution Explorer which I often also want to do. Say if I want to set it as the Startup Project or change some project settings. If the project name itself was in the Open Files in Solution dialog as a file and you allowed it to be selected which caused the Solution Explorer to be scrolled and the item selected then a simple ALT-Enter brings up the project settings. Shift-F10+A makes it the Startup Project.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  3:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can search directly in the solution explorer: just start typing when it is focused and it will "silently" search as you type. You won't see what you type but it will change the selection depending on the typed text. Hope this helps :)

Edited by - accord on Jun 24 2010 3:23:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

invino4

35 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  5:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. But then it does that for files too, so if that was good enough then I wouldn't need the Open Files in Solution dialog in the first place. :)
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  03:53:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Open Files in Solution dialog also finds files, doesn't it? I may misunderstood your point.
Go to Top of Page

invino4

35 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  05:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only meant that you can search directly in the solution explorer for files in the solution across all projects by filename. If the folders are expanded then as you type it jumps to the first visible node of the entire tree control that matches the typed string prefix. This is a clumsy way to find files in a solution, however, as you might imagine. The same shortcomings apply for finding project by names. Hence, I would rather use the Open Files in Solution dialog to both find files and projects because it provides more robust filtering (the substring can appear anywhere not just at the beginning of the name) and it filters the view as you type making it quicker to locate things when there are multiple matches to the keyword you type.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  08:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note that OFIS supports filtering on directory names too (by using \\). This means that if ProjectName is a directory, then typing \\ProjectName\\ will filter the list to only those files that have \\ProjectName\\ in the full path of the file.

The caveats are that this won't help if a project is not in a directory of the same name and files in the project that aren't in subdirectories beneath the main project directory will be filtered out of view.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000