Feature Requests
 Support other characters for Suggestion completion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

darrenecm

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  09:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There doesn't appear to be any support for additional characters such as space, equals sign, period etc for completing a VAX Suggestion whilst within a C++ project. All we have are TAB and ENTER. VB and C# do not seem to have this limitation, presumably because VAX is offloading this ability to the default Intellisense system?

I'm fairly new to Visual Studio and its code generation productivity tools (both built-in and 3rd party) and I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that as far as code generation features go, C++ is the neglected 'red headed stepchild'.

I know C# and VB have a plethora of meta-data to rely on for many of their code generation features, but it doesn't explain the lack of support for seemingly simple features like more flexible completion character support under c++.

Edited by - darrenecm on Aug 26 2010 09:50:22 AM

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  10:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA X Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes

There are checkboxes to configure the valid characters. Do the extra options help? :)

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

darrenecm

7 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  02:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ticking the other 'Any character not valid in a symbol' seems to have done the trick while I'm entering parameters or arguments but things appear inconsistent when outside. It may very well be my noobishness so apologies if that's the case :)

Take for example the following (which I have prototyped elsewhere in an include file):

LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM)

As I type LR, VAX helpfully shows LRESULT as the only entry in the listbox and it's even pre-selected, ready for selection. Pressing Space, TAB or Enter all work fine as next logical completion keys.

Upon selection, VAX then shows CALLBACK in the listbox and is the only entry. However it's not pre-selected and I have to use downarrow to select it. Also, once selected, I can only use TAB or Enter to complete it, pressing Space simply results in the listbox closing and a space being entered at the cursor position, it doesn't complete CALLBACK. Is this intended behaviour, it just seems inconsistent with what just happened for the LRESULT situation?

Finally, when I type Wnd I see a number of entries, including the WndProc function name. Again the listbox does not have anything pre-selected and once I move the cursor down to WndProc, I can only use TAB or Enter to complete. Surely the ( character in this context of having a function selected should be a viable completion key?

Edited by - darrenecm on Sep 06 2010 04:02:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

darrenecm

7 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  03:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't suppose there's another little tickbox I've not seen that's not on by default that would allow for a 'smart' final termination of the current line? It would be nice to be able to press the semi-colon key and be taken out of any (), {} or [] enclosure to complete the current statement line :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  2:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The listboxes you are seeing when typing, I am not sure why you are seeing what you are describing. It sounds like the first listbox is a completion listbox, normally triggered by CTRL-SPACE, while the second listbox is a VA suggestion listbox.

This registry key might help a bit, since it tells VA to always give suggestions focus:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W350

As for putting the semi-colon at the end of the line when you type it, we are considering adding this feature, but there are some edge cases to watch out for:

case=296

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000