Technical Support
 Compatibility with Solution Build Environment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

giryan

3 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  07:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I've been using VAX for ages and love it :)

Recently I started to use Solution Build Environment from workspacewhiz http://workspacewhiz.com/OtherAddins.html to ease the pain of changing environment variables.
So instead of specifying relative paths to my library include directories I'm setting then with an env var in the project, and setting that env var in a slnenv file.

The problem I'm seeing is that VAX no longer gives me suggestions based on the headers in the directories that come from the env var.

Does anyone have any ideas? solved it otherwise? etc...

Thanks
Matt

giryan

3 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  11:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, I've been having a fiddle to try and work out what's up, it appears to be an issue with using an environment variable in general in the include paths.

I removed the Solution Build Environment addin from VS 2008, and it is still failing to find the symbols.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  11:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on the description of Solution Build Environment VA simply does not know about the environment variables it is setting. How often do you need to change your environment variables?

Windows environment variables are supported by VA, so if you only need to change them occasionally you could use these to specify the library include directories.

VA also supports environment variables set via IDE property sheets:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a4xbdz1e.aspx

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  11:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was replying while you were replying.

Have you restarted the IDE since setting the environment variables?

How are you setting the environment variables? You may need to reboot before the IDE its self sees the new / changed environment variables.

Go to Top of Page

giryan

3 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  05:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

I was replying while you were replying.

Have you restarted the IDE since setting the environment variables?

How are you setting the environment variables? You may need to reboot before the IDE its self sees the new / changed environment variables.

I did investigate the property sheets a little while ago however some of the platforms we write for have their own special VS integration that doesn't read the data from the vsprops :( which is why I moved towards trying Solution Build Environment.
I might try using both the vsprops so that VAX knows about the env var and SDE so that the other plugins do :)

This morning I've been removing more of the changes I made and I'm beginning to wonder how we ever had suggestions :S
I've switched the project in its current location to have relative paths in the VS include paths and that still didn't give me lots of suggestions.

I'm a little confused about how it ever worked tbh, and we're on a really tight deadline for this project so can't really investigate for a couple of weeks. I'll come back to the issue when I have some more time, and can try to pin down what my problem actually is.

thanks for the help :)

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  7:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully I will be able to help when you have more time to look into this. I have sometimes found that a reboot is required when setting / editing windows environment variables, but VA is designed to read and respect these.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000