Technical Support
 Find References after Rename Refactoring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

actom

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  5:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have noticed after doing a rename refactor (or perhaps other refactorings), when there is one or more unsaved source files, find references may fail (symbol unrecognized). This is easily fixed by saving all files, but it would be nice perhaps for the refactoring to trigger a reparse?

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  6:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You shouldn't have to save the file in order to be able to use VA features like find references.
Visual Assist re-parses files few seconds after you stop typing. The actual time vary with the file size: smaller files are re-parsed after about 1 second (few hundred/thousand lines).

How large are the files where find references failed?
Are your files on a network drive?
Doesn't it work if you wait a few seconds after the rename?
Which version of Visual Studio and Visual Assist are you using?
How ofter does it fail approximately? 1 of 2 times? 1 of 10 times?
I just did a few tests but find references did not fail for me after a rename. It reminds me an old bug which was fixed years ago.
Go to Top of Page

actom

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  6:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I no longer have the specific case happening, so I will try to keep better track of when I see this and report back. I am using VS2010 and 10.6.1833. I see 'symbol unrecognized' occasionally and I have never noticed the problem go away after a few seconds, but I will make sure to try that next time. All files are local (on an SSD actually) and are not huge (maybe 3k lines max). Failure rate is low, maybe 1 in 30, but that is a rough guess.

One case I just found is I get symbol unrecognized when I attempt to FindReferences, but if I GotoImplementation, then FindReferences, it works. This is independent of a refactoring.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  7:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to clear up: you are launching Find References from the "Refactor (VA X)" menu. Is this right?

>This is independent of a refactoring.

So this problem does not depend on saving the files? Since it works after you use "Go to Implementation", it sounds like Visual Assist doesn't recognize one of the references of a symbol, but it does recognize the definition of the same symbol. Is this always happens when you would like to do a find references on this symbol?

Can you please try if rebuilding the symbol databases help?
VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

Also, we have a new beta version with bug fixes, you may want to try it to see if it makes any difference:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

Here, download the 10.6.1836.0 version.

Edited by - accord on Nov 11 2010 7:34:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  7:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I've just updated my post, because I've misunderstood your post first)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000