Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Shortcut Key: "Go To This Type's Declaration"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  7:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello:

Any chance this feature already exists, or would be interesting enough to make a feature request out of?

I find I often have a variable I'm working with, that I'd like to see the full declaration of its type. i.e.:

class Foo  // #[1] I want to go here
{
  void Baz();
};

// Some other file, ten thousand lines of code down:

void MyFunc()
{
  Foo bar;

// More crufty code

bar.Baz(); // I'm here currently, and I'd like to go straight to #[1]

//
}

I currently end up highlighting 'bar' and pressing "ALT-G", which brings me back to "Foo bar;", and then highlighting the 'Foo' in that sentence, and pressing "ALT-G" again to go to #1. Or, I use Shift-Alt-S and type it out longhand.

It's not the end of the world, but it's a few too many keystrokes for me, and the other alternative options aren't really time savers either.

Anyhow, maybe it's too feature-creepy, but I'd love a "SHIFT-ALT-G" or some such that takes me directly to the type.

But maybe it's just me. :)

Let me know if anyone thinks this is awesome or just plain crazy. ;)

Thanks again for the great tool.

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  8:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We like this idea and hope to actually do something about it... case=9113

There are two lines of thought:
1) a new independent command
2) optional modification of the current alt+g behavior where the location of the type declaration is appended to the menu that sometimes appears when you do alt+g.

Option 1 is straightforward, but the idea of adding another default binding for such a seemingly small difference doesn't sit well.

Option 2 means that you will see the alt+g menu for variables more often than you currently do.
Go to Top of Page

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  8:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome that this appeals to you fine folk.

I can appreciate your sense of keeping the bindings to a minimum but I really would enjoy at least the option to bind to another key. I love ALT-G for only showing a menu when there's a case of fuzziness - showing it everytime there's ambiguity between type or variable declaration would double the amount of keypresses (and alt-g is something I use quite frequently).

Then again, I might get used to having to press Enter after ALT-G everytime to get the default behaviour - but I just thought I'd share my initial opinion.

Cheers, and I look forward to seeing whatever incarnation comes my way. :)

-e-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000