New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hfrmobile
Ketchup Master

Austria
79 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  11:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be useful if it is possible to configure some settings on a language level (C++, C#, VB.NET).

Setting:
- C++: yes/no
- C#: yes/no
- VB.NET: yes/no

Specially for developers using R# and VA together. The following setting will "conflict" with R#:
- Enhanced Syntax Coloring
- Highlight current line
- Display indicator after column {column} using {color}

Visual Assist X for C/C++ and ReSharper, FxCop and StyleCop for C#, Eclipse Ganymede for Java

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  2:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you ask two different plugin's to do the same thing at the same time then a conflict is unfortunately likely.

If you want to fully disable VA in a given language then you can simply add this language's file extension to:

VA Options -> Projects -> File Handling -> Extensions to ignore

We have made various changes over time, to try and minimise conflicts with R#, and other plugins.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

hfrmobile
Ketchup Master

Austria
79 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  2:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
VA Options -> Projects -> File Handling -> Extensions to ignore

Thank you for your response, I'll give it a try!

Visual Assist X for C/C++ and ReSharper, FxCop and StyleCop for C#, Eclipse Ganymede for Java
Go to Top of Page

hfrmobile
Ketchup Master

Austria
79 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  04:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried those settings yesterday but the Extension to ignore hasn't the expected results for ignoring .cs (C#):
- Following toolbar buttons are enabled for C#: "Open File in Solution", "Find Symbol" and "Find References"
- Highlight current line still visible (incorrect)
- Spell checker is disabled (exactly whats is not useful for me)
- Line margin is not visible (correct)

I already purchased a personal licenses for R# and VA in order to benefit from both tools (R# + VA) since I think that it will take a while until WTS gives us a "C++ only edition" ;-) The behavior described above makes "language dependent settings" for some settings more important than I thought. Spell checker for C# was one reason to purchase the VA license (since JetBrains does not plan to add a spell checker to R#)

So I keep VA active for C# too and accept the "conflicts" until they're (hopefully) fixed ;-) (e.g. current highlighted line flickers when typing code which is irritating and annoying after some time; also tried color setting "VA X Current Line" item background is set to "Default" or "Automatic")

Workaround: Set "VA X Current Line" and "ReSharper Current Line" to "Automatic" --> No flicker but also no background of course only the focus-looking like thing from VA.

See also:
- VAX and ReSharper fight (http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8777)
- Language only licensing edition (http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9850)

So "language dependent" settings would help VA and R# coexist more peacefully ;-)

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  1:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find References, like Goto Implementation is enabled or disabled "constantly" as you move the caret through a code file, and also depends on VA's parser's ability to understand the current caret position, these commands are simply left enabled, but they then check and see if they can do something useful when triggered.

The "Open File in Solution" and "Find Symbol" toolbar buttons are not a language dependent commands, so again this is what I would expect.

The Spell Checker command being disabled is unhelpful, but since you have told VA to ignore .cs files, it makes sense that VA is not trying to scan the files. Remember that the spell checker command is linked to underlining of spelling errors, which requires that VA is active in the file.

Highlight Current Line is applied to all files that you open, e.g. also txt and bat files, so files that VA is not active in. Under most circumstances this seems a reasonable approach, since this is a feature that can help in non code files.

Are you finding your workaround for VA and R# current line highlighting works well enough?

Go to Top of Page

hfrmobile
Ketchup Master

Austria
79 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  07:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The workaround for the highlighting current line remains the same and so I have to live with the "VA highlight" ;-) Column indicator same issue.

I think the simplest and easiest way to fix that would having own "ignore file extension" setting for "highlight current" line and "column indicator"?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  5:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you tell VA to ignore .cs files then the column indicator is no longer shown in .cs files, at least for me. Starting to add an explicit "ignore file extension" setting for individual VA options is very quickly going to turn our options dialog into a mess, and seems an overly complex solution for this problem.

I have put in a feature request to turn off Highlight current line in file extensions that VA has been told to ignore:

case=53812

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000