Feature Requests
 VA View suggestion: Pin/Bookmark files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ycc

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  5:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that really annoys me in Visual Studio is the lack of ability to have a set of commonly used files always available to me. When I switch tabs those files get lost and I have to either ctrl-tab back to them or use file open dialog again. One feature that I use in Google Chrome a lot is the ability to pin tabs, i.e. have a set of commonly used tabs pinned to the left that they are always available to me.

It would be really nice if we have a similar feature, either by pinning tabs to be always available, or if VA view has a "bookmark" section that we can drag and drop tabs/files in to have them always available. Ideally there will be some hotkeyable commands to let's say "go to file 3" and it will go to the 3rd file in the list. (Kind of like ctrl-<num> in chrome and firefox, and <windows>-<num> in windows 7)

ycc

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  5:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just some screenshots to illustrate my point for Chrome's tab pinning (the two leftmost tabs are pinned for easy access):

And a crappy quick mockup of a potential place to put it:

Not sure how easy this is to do or what others may think, just throwing this out there.

Go to Top of Page

ycc

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  6:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just occurred to me VS2010's Productivity Power Tools has similar features already. I guess it's too bad my project is stuck on 2008...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  1:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering making some enhancements to the IDE tab bar, to let you do something like this:

case=18471

but currently this is just an idea. You might want to have a look at this tool:

http://www.tabsstudio.com/

I have not tried it, so I cannot say how well it works, but it sounds like it might do some of what you want.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000