Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hajokirchhoff
Ketchup Master

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  04:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
removing dead code is as important to me as writing new code. VisualAssist has a lot of great features such as Create declaration, Create implementation, Move implementation to source.

I miss "Delete Method" which would delete the body and the declaration. If I only delete the method body, I tend to forget to delete the declaration. Since this does not neccessarily cause a linker error, the declaration might stay in the code for quite some time, causing head scratching later on.

"Delete Method" should open the "Find references" Dialog showing all instances where this method is defined/declared/referenced. A button "Really delete this method" would then delete the declaration and the definition. Since "Delete Method" did an implicit "find references", I could jump to all references immediately afterwards (or even before I hit "really delete this method").

Many thanks

Hajo

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a very sensible idea, and this is a feature we are looking to add to VA:

case=1101

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

hajokirchhoff
Ketchup Master

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2020 :  12:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi VisualAssist Team,

Ha! I thought, I had a great new idea to suggest, only to find out I already suggested it 8 years ago.

I still would like to have a "Delete Method" feature. It's really great how easy it is to create new functions, override inherited functions etc...
But deleting a function would be great. Maybe nobody else is refactoring as much as I do, but I doubt it ;-)

Seriously, "Delete Method" or even "Delete Class" would be great. Perhaps combined with a "find symbol". When I refactor code, I remove calls of a function until only the function itself is left over. Find symbol is very helpful for it. Then, when only the function itself is left I delete the function.

Best regards (and stay healthy)
Hajo
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  05:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is still on our list of features to implement. The trick is checking that it is safe to delete something, and handling virtual methods, etc. So it's not quite as simple as it first seems, which is why it wasn't simply done before.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000