Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Auto Complete Never Works [C++ / Unreal]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diegopatrocinio
New Member

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  12:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I just downloaded your software and I'm trying to use it with Unreal Engine 4/C++, so far everything is working, except the auto-complete.

It suggests functions/variables, but it just doesn't insert then. I tried double clicking the suggestion, Tab, Space, Enter, nothing works.

Tried ticking all three boxes in the "Commit Selections with" but no luck.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16339 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  1:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, as a sanity check, can you make sure you only have 2 or 3 files open, and that all of them are saved, so no * on the tabs, to indicate a modified file.

If you try again, are any of the other files shown as modified? They should not, but just double checking.

Can you scroll through the listbox? If you reach the top or the bottom of the list, does the listbox scroll (assuming it shows a scroll bar) or just close?

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

diegopatrocinio
New Member

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  2:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

First, as a sanity check, can you make sure you only have 2 or 3 files open, and that all of them are saved, so no * on the tabs, to indicate a modified file.

If you try again, are any of the other files shown as modified? They should not, but just double checking.

Can you scroll through the listbox? If you reach the top or the bottom of the list, does the listbox scroll (assuming it shows a scroll bar) or just close?

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16339 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  2:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought, does changing the setting:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content: Visual Assist OR Default Intellisense

have any effect on this problem?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

diegopatrocinio
New Member

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  2:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, I don't what is happening lol the forum keep messing with my post.. let me try it again, sorry!

So:

1 - I forgot to mention, but I'm running a Macbook Pro with MacOS Sierra 12.6, and the Visual Studio is running in a VM, through Parallels Desktop.

2 - Only the file I'm working one is modified.

3 - I can scroll up and down, and if I reach top or bottom, I can just scroll back.

4 - No effect ---> VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content: Visual Assist OR Default Intellisense

5 - Here is the info you asked:

License: trial
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2223.0 built 2017.06.22
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.26430.16 Community
msenv.dll version 15.0.26430.16
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.15063.0
Windows 10 10.0 Build 15063
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x416

Edited by - diegopatrocinio on Aug 02 2017 2:32:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16339 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  2:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I would not expect running in a VM to be a factor, but it is good to be aware of it. Only the one file being modified is good. Do you have:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Check for consistent line endings on load

turned On or Off? If this is turned Off, can you please try turning it On, reloading the file, and see if this makes any difference?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

diegopatrocinio
New Member

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  2:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Interesting. I would not expect running in a VM to be a factor, but it is good to be aware of it. Only the one file being modified is good. Do you have:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Check for consistent line endings on load

turned On or Off? If this is turned Off, can you please try turning it On, reloading the file, and see if this makes any difference?



Was on, turned off, closed VS, re-opened, reloaded the project, no effect. So I turned back on and did the same, also no effect.

Also, if I copy the info as you asked and paste it here, I can't send the post, the forum returns internal error (maybe because it has 4300 lines?

You can check it here:

https://pastebin.com/nbuNcSsX

Edited by - diegopatrocinio on Aug 02 2017 2:43:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

ChrisG
Whole Tomato Software

USA
185 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  3:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please open a support ticket so that we may send you a newer (not yet public) build of VA to test and capture logs with.

https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

diegopatrocinio
New Member

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2017 :  3:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisG

Please open a support ticket so that we may send you a newer (not yet public) build of VA to test and capture logs with.

https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Thank you.



Just did!

Case 110132

Edited by - diegopatrocinio on Aug 02 2017 3:10:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Widzy
New Member

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  07:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this ever resolved? Currently having the exact same issue - followed all the steps with the same results in this thread. My system info is:


License: purchase@unit2games.com (9-user license) Support ends 2018.11.22
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2238.2 built 2017.11.10
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.27004.2005 Professional
msenv.dll version 15.0.26929.2
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.16299.248
Windows 10 10.0 Build 16299
16 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\UnitTest\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.16299.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\NETFXSDK\4.6.1\include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\mfc;

Go to Top of Page

Widzy
New Member

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  07:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just found another really horrible side effect... when I try to #include a file, at the point where I reach the '.', the auto-complete suggestion box has already appeared... and upon pressing '.', the suggestion box dissappears and my '.' isn't added. So I can't type '.', I'm having to copy and paste an existing one from elsewhere to get it working.

Unfortunately I've had to disable VA now, as It's now actually making me work slower as opposed to helping me out :(
Go to Top of Page

Widzy
New Member

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  07:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(should also say, same thing happens when pressing '.' to access member variables)
Go to Top of Page

Widzy
New Member

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  07:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okaaaay... so... it's all now working again. I had tried restarting computer, disabling/re-enabling visual assist, all to no avail. What I've just done to get it working again was to close down all open files (I had previously tried the suggestion in the previous post of reducing this to just 2 or 3 open files, which didn't work). Upon opening a file now, VA is magically working again. Huzzzah!

When I restart my computer, it reloads Visual Studio with all previous files that I had open visible in the solution, so I'm guessing that's why restarting didn't work. I assume something has got it's knickers in a twist with the current active files somehow, and the only way to fix it was to clear it all and start again?

Anyway, all good. Back to work now... nothing to see here... :)

Edited by - Widzy on Feb 14 2018 07:40:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

diegopatrocinio
New Member

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  09:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Widzy

Was this ever resolved? Currently having the exact same issue - followed all the steps with the same results in this thread. My system info is:


License: purchase@unit2games.com (9-user license) Support ends 2018.11.22
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2238.2 built 2017.11.10
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.27004.2005 Professional
msenv.dll version 15.0.26929.2
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.16299.248
Windows 10 10.0 Build 16299
16 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\UnitTest\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\include\10.0.16299.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\NETFXSDK\4.6.1\include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.11.25503\atlmfc\src\mfc;





In my case it was an issue with UNC path.

I was running Visual Studio / VA on a Windows Virtual Machine, running on my MacOS using Parallels Desktop, so the project files were stored on my MacOS, and Windows was accessing them through local network using UNC, which caused VA to get lost. If I copy the project files to my Windows Local Virtual Drive, it works fine.

To be honest I don't know if they fixed it already, because I simply moved my projects to the Windows Drive.

But I'm glad it's working for you know, and it probably wasn't the same issue as I had.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16339 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  10:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for the updates. The bug with VA having problems with UNC file paths is fixed in VA 2246 and above. The current version is 2248.

Widzy, since your license does support the current version of VA, it might be worth updating to the latest version, in case this is the problem. This should help to protect you from running into this problem in the future.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

irielle
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  4:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran into the same problem as well. And as suggested by Widzy, I closed all the open files in order to get VA working as correctly.

I also tried several solutions: close/reopen solution, reboot computer, reset settings of VA & VS, etc. The only thing that worked was closing all the files.

Note the version I have is above 2248:
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2324.0 built 2019.03.08
DevEnv.exe version 15.8.28010.2048 Professional
msenv.dll version 15.0.28010.2041
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.17134.1246
Windows 10 10.0 1803 Build 17134.1246
12 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0xc0c

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\NETFXSDK\4.6.1\Include\um;
c:\.nuget\dd\win-sdk-anvil.10.16299.91\tools\10\Include\10.0.16299.0\winrt;
c:\.nuget\dd\win-sdk-anvil.10.16299.91\tools\10\Include\10.0.16299.0\shared;
c:\.nuget\dd\win-sdk-anvil.10.16299.91\tools\10\Include\10.0.16299.0\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\UnitTest\include;
c:\.nuget\dd\win-sdk-anvil.10.16299.91\tools\10\Include\10.0.16299.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\include;
c:\.nuget\dd\vs2017_buildtools-anvil.15.9.11\tools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\atlmfc\include;
c:\.nuget\dd\vs2017_buildtools-anvil.15.9.11\tools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
c:\.nuget\dd\win-sdk-anvil.10.16299.91\tools\10\Source\10.0.16299.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\src;
c:\.nuget\dd\vs2017_buildtools-anvil.15.9.11\tools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\crt\src;
c:\.nuget\dd\vs2017_buildtools-anvil.15.9.11\tools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\atlmfc\src\atl;
c:\.nuget\dd\vs2017_buildtools-anvil.15.9.11\tools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
c:\.nuget\dd\vs2017_buildtools-anvil.15.9.11\tools\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\atlmfc\src\mfc;

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
16339 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2020 :  09:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you working with Unreal Engine? If so, do you have:

VA Options -> Unreal Engine -> Enable support for Unreal Engine 4

turned On or Off. If this is turned On, is it set to Always, or "When a solution contains a project named UE4"?

If VA had detected you working on an Unreal Engine solution, then your stable include directories above should include the unreal engine directories, but they don't.

Are you ever seeing VA listboxes appearing spontaneously in the editor window? What if you press CTRL-SPACE?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2019 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000