-> OpenCorrespondingFile
-> Nothing happens

Regards, Holger Gothan.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  06:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Visual Assist takes a few things into consideration when deciding which file to open, including filename, extension and directory. It's not just opening the same file in the same directory with different extension, because there are cases where more consideration is needed.

If you could share (or send in to support at wholetomato.com) the exact filename and path for "myfile.cpp" and the same for "otherfile.h", it might help to figure out what is going on.

I have two guesses at this point:
1. when the wrong file is opened, this might help, depending on what is going wrong: https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W709
2. we have integration issues with VS 16.3 which might explain the case where open corresponding file fails. The next build (coming soon) should solve these type of problems

If you will be experiencing the "open corresponding file does nothing" with the upcoming new build as well, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by - accord on Oct 29 2019 06:32:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2019 :  08:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought is if you have several copies of "myfile.cpp" and "myfile.h" in different directories. VA tries to pair them up, so it goes to the correct matching file, but if you end up with an odd number of files, so they don't make exact pairs, this could be a factor.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

DbIMKA

Ukraine
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2020 :  11:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got exactly the same issue with VS2019. Reinstalled Windows/VS2019 Community/VA on a new machine - same results. Several different projects, simple or complex - alt-o and alt-g (!) doesn't react when pressed from xaml file. Loaded same projects into VS2017 Community/VA - alt-o and alt-g are working on the same symbols.
I would appreciate a fix or ideas. Thanks!
xaml and xaml.cs files are located in the same folder and there are no other files with the same name anywhere.

Edited by - DbIMKA on Jul 09 2020 11:50:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  10:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this, VA is disabled by default in VS2019 in xaml/asp files to workaround a crash closing the editor on Windows 10 1903 with July .NET Framework 4.8 KB4506991 update when "Optimize rendering for screens with different pixel densities" is checked.

Since we are not 100% sure this is safe to enable again, it is not enabled by default, but you can enable VA again in these files easily enough. First close all instances of your IDE, and then use regedit to set the registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Whole Tomato\Visual Assist X\VANet16\OverridePmaCrashWorkaround = 01

and now load VS2019. You need to edit the registry with the IDE closed since VA saves out its settings on exit, so can overwrite any changes you make while the IDE is open. I have noted that you ran into this problem, on the case where we are keeping an eye on this work around:

case 141827

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

DbIMKA

Ukraine
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  2:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you SO MUCH!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly